Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

More Power Pleasee!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Default More Power Pleasee!

I have a 2000 SS Taz Pace Car edition Monte and want more power out of it. I want to either supercharge it (like the 04-05 models) or throw an aftermarket twin turbo in it. I want to do the least amount of modification to the engine bay as possible though (i dont want to risk knocking something loose) Should i find a supercharged engine froom the 04, 05 model year and drop it in or should i just go afermarket?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can do a top swap relativly cheap by looking on a few different forums and craiglist for all your parts instead of doing a whole motor swap,

here is a great thread about a 5th gen 3.1 to 3.8 sc
Http://www.montecarloforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=14610

know there is a really good thread about stiff to mod you car for power and details on top swap and what not hopefully some one will chime in who has the link to it it's a pain looking for it on my phone

Old 11-18-2010, 01:28 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Well you cant twin turbo, its pointless. Turbo will give you more hp, and mabye be easier than SC, but will be more expensive.
Top swaps are cheap and not fun.
I recommend just getting an l67 from a gtp or an l32 from a newer gtp and calling it good.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Depends on how much money your looking to spend...

You will not be able to just buy a supercharger from a 2005 and just bolt it on and call it a day...

There are a number of options...engine swap/top swap/ turbo systems....ranging in price and power...so you have to sit down and detail how much money you have to spend, and how much power realistically your looking for.

Joe

Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM

there is a guy here named bumpin i dont remember the rest of his sig he may help you out on explaning more on what you are looking for he has a fully built 3800 supercharged engine and goodies for his trans to he will help you out more to be honest

hay bumpin sorry to put you out there i know you have pretty good experence on what you wanted and looked up for your 3800

Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Turbo, downpipe, cat, cat-back. The factory downpipe/cat has a "U" bend in it that restricts a lot of exhast flow.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:02 AM

yeah, monte07. i found a bumpin96monte.. looks like he has a white monte with far-from-stock engine. maybe he can help.
but can anyone define a top swap for me. i have a clue what it is but im not sure. and i really dont have much of a price range(i hope to stay below 10g's) but i would prefer just supercharging it if its possible because i notice there is a 3800 series II that is suoercharged and i didnt know if i could just buy the components for that engine that mine lacks and put them on. I also dont know of any other mods i might need to make because of the engine mods (like tranny mods)

Old 11-20-2010, 06:58 AM

Thats exactly what a top swap is, you need the heads, s/c and a computer tune to make the swap work correctly, im not too sure if you need the fuel rails or not.

Tranny wise, 4T65HD tranny, yours currently is the 4T65E. You can go on zzperformance.com or 3800performance.com and they sell parts for a tranny internal conversion from intense performance
also, try intense performance.com

I know 3800performance also sells a turbo kit if your heart truly desires it. Its a direct bolt up kit.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

A good list of the parts that you need can be found here: http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...Kit-p-157.html

To be honest, I would avoid Intense Performance. I've never had a good experience with them and their are better options for getting a built tranny. Check out www.tripleedgeperformance.com and they should be able to hook you up with a great tranny.

First thing though is make a realistic budget for yourself. $10k would easily get you a turbo setup that makes 400whp. However, $1k could get you a top swap that makes 250whp.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM

I know the old addage about what you buy from a junk yard, but there's one here that has two 95 model supercharged buick rivieras with the entire engine still intact.

Btw, is that a series2 in those cars? anyways, looking at the price list, I could get everything for$ 150

Quick Reply: More Power Pleasee!