Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Misfire and Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Misfire and Rough Idle

To start off, I have a 2007 SS with around 160,000 miles on it.

So I'm driving around the other night and noticed my CEL start flashing. It did this as I was accelerating onto the highway. Once at speed and cruise set, it turned off. Every time I accelerated, I got the flashing light. When I got home I noticed it was making a ticking noise that It was not previously making but still no steady CEL. I drove it to work the next day and same problems but it finally popped a code P0306 for cyl 6 misfire. The ticking sound remains at a constant volume but does speed up with the RPM's. Just for kicks I decided to check out the ignition components. Swapped out the spark plug with a new one (which was oh so much fun) and swapped coils to a different cylinder to see if the problem followed it, but it didn't and I expected as much. If I tae the RPM's up for a while, I seem to get an excessive amount of something coming out of the tailpipe and I can't really tell what it smells like. There does not appear to be any coolant in my oil however I do need to flush my coolant as it has now turned a brown color.

Hopefully (however unfortunately) someone has experienced something similar and has an idea of what is going on. Video posted below that may or may not be helpful.

Last edited by fiveirontimmy; 12-23-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Add'l Information
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That sound sure sounds like a blown head gasket! or possibly a bad exhaust leak!

I leaning towards a head gasket...! But I wouldnt rule out the exhaust leak...
The smoke out of the rear looks pretty constant like its suckn in and burning antifreeze..(from the cloudiness)..apparently cylinder 6 is the problem area!

I would also change and flush the system Immediately! Pressure test the cooling system..followed by a leakdown test on cylinder 6....

Are you haveing to add coolant?..also that brown color in the radiator tells me its contaminated!.... and compromised Severly! Which more than likely has oil in the coolant...Im guessing its a 3800????

Also I would replace the upper and lower intake gaskets!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-23-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
That sound sure sounds like a blown head gasket! or possibly a bad exhaust leak!

I leaning towards a head gasket...! But I wouldnt rule out the exhaust leak...
The smoke out of the rear looks pretty constant like its suckn in and burning antifreeze..(from the cloudiness)..apparently cylinder 6 is the problem area!

I would also change and flush the system Immediately! Pressure test the cooling system..followed by a leakdown test on cylinder 6....

Are you haveing to add coolant?..also that brown color in the radiator tells me its contaminated!.... and compromised Severly! Which more than likely has oil in the coolant...Im guessing its a 3800????

Also I would replace the upper and lower intake gaskets!
Actually, no. I added maybe 20 oz. about 6mos ago but other than that, nothing. And no, I have the 5300 it's a beast haha

A lot of people don't realize that the 06-07 SS had a V8 in it... gets 'em every time.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM

5 Year Member

Then My moneys on a blown head gasket!..

I highly recommend doing a leak down test on all cylinders...But Id start with number 6 ! That code seems to be pointing in that direction....Better to hope for a blown head gasket,verses a cracked block....

So im assumeing you dont have a set of headers on it....
Because a header leak could also be mistaken for a head gasket leak... Definately your over heating issue is a Highly Contaminated cooling system!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 12-23-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Then My moneys on a blown head gasket!..

I highly recommend doing a leak down test on all cylinders...But Id start with number 6 ! That code seems to be pointing in that direction....Better to hope for a blown head gasket,verses a cracked block....

So im assumeing you dont have a set of headers on it....
Because a header leak could also be mistaken for a head Definately your over heating issue is definately a Highly Contaminated cooling system!
No headers, though I wish I could afford the $800 for them. Stupid sideways motor. Strangely, it is not overheating or anything. Other than the ticking noise and misfire it runs just fine, except maybe a little harder shifting than normal, which it has been doing for a while. Usually starts off just fine and then after running for an hour or so it shifts harder.

I was actually wondering for a while there if maybe I have a stuck valve or lifter problems, but I just havent had time to pull the valve cover off and see what they look like while running.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by fiveirontimmy
No headers, though I wish I could afford the $800 for them. Stupid sideways motor. Strangely, it is not overheating or anything. Other than the ticking noise and misfire it runs just fine, except maybe a little harder shifting than normal, which it has been doing for a while. Usually starts off just fine and then after running for an hour or so it shifts harder.

I was actually wondering for a while there if maybe I have a stuck valve or lifter problems, but I just havent had time to pull the valve cover off and see what they look like while running.
That sound...is not a collapsed lifter....or a broken/cracked rocker!
Its something a bit more severe...

Also your trans need probably more than likely with that kinda mileage a filter and fluid change....

When its cold...all the residue is in the bottom of the pan...once it warms up and the fluid starts moveing around...It all collects at the filter..causeing a rise in pressure and a lack of fluid flowing...thus haveing transmission issues.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Went outside and played with it some today. I believe you are right about the head gasket. I took off the radiator cap (which is actually mounted remotely on this thing) and it looks like the part of it that releases the excess pressure into the overflow tank had fallen apart. The cap is entirely plastic, and came out in two parts instead of one. After seeing that, I went ahead and unplugged the spark plug on cyl 6, and what do we have but dry warm exhaust coming out the back. My question at this point is, what the heck is that ticking noise? Head maybe? It remains at a constant volume, just increases or decreases in speed with the RPM's

Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Well there's part of my problem haha. Finally got to taking things apart.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by fiveirontimmy

Well there's part of my problem haha. Finally got to taking things apart.
Wow that is one hell of a bent rod!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM

5 Year Member

Only 2 things cause that.... 1).Lack of oil pressure.
Due to non regular oil change maintenance...
2) Over reving the motor..thus collapsing the lifter/ bending push rod.

Now the real question is....What shape is the valve and valve seat , spring, lifter condition?

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Misfire and Rough Idle