Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Misfire 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Default Misfire 4

I have a 06 ss Monte Carlo 5.3 with about 90k miles I'm getting a misfire cylinder 4. Good plugs, coils, plug wires, and good injectors. So what should I check next? My engine light flashes when I accelerate it smokes white at idle after about 10 minutes of driving. Hoping not a blown gasket.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

White smoke is water/anti-freeze burning off. I would advise taking the plug out of the #4 cylinder, see what it looks like. It may tell you a big clue to what's going on. You can compare it with other plugs, see how they all look. You can also conduct a compressing test and see if a cylinder is loosing compression.

But the smoke from the exhaust is not very promising.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ssmonte88
I have a 06 ss Monte Carlo 5.3 with about 90k miles I'm getting a misfire cylinder 4. Good plugs, coils, plug wires, and good injectors. So what should I check next? My engine light flashes when I accelerate it smokes white at idle after about 10 minutes of driving. Hoping not a blown gasket.
Im curious,
Are you using/loseing Anti-Freeze? Does the Motor run hot? Is the Number 4 plug discolored when you removed it? Does it smell other than of gasoline?
These are all signs of a possible leak/headgasket.... The white smoke after idleing for 10 minutes does the exhaust have a "sweet" smell to it?

If you pull off the oil fill cap...does it have a milk shake color around the edges/or inside the valve cover? Is it low on oil? or overfull? Is there a milk shake color on the dipstick?

I would also recommend do a pressure test on the cooling system.

I would do a cylinder leak down test on the #4 cylinder.

I do know in 2003 and 2004 Chevrolet used a substandard heads on the 5.3's .... They were known to develop small cracks in the top of the head
near/around the valve guides... Thus causeing a coolant leak ... and cylinder failures.

I'm not saying you have a cracked head... But anything is possible.
I hope this helps...Please get back with us and let us know what you have found out...and or how you fixed it.
Thanks for joining the MCF Family.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hopeing your making progress and looking forward to your resolve.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

There is a problem on the LS4 related to oil blow-by caused by the DOD system. Are you burning any oil? Also, here is a site with some GREAT info.

LS4 FAQs - LS4 Store

Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM

So I just found time to take it apart. I got to taking off the manifold all ports are dry except cylinder 4 that was misfiring was filled with gas any suggestions

Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Hopeing your making progress and looking forward to your resolve.
So I just found time to take it apart. I got to taking off the manifold all ports are dry except cylinder 4 that was misfiring was filled with gas any suggestions

Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ssmonte88

Well it smelled like gas

Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Possibly a failed injector leaking gas in the cylinder. Or a spark plug not firing or firing with weak spark (could be plug, wire or coil). My two best logical guesses.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Possibly a failed injector leaking gas in the cylinder. Or a spark plug not firing or firing with weak spark (could be plug, wire or coil). My two best logical guesses.
New plugs, new wires, coils good, injectors good

Quick Reply: Misfire 4