Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Melting spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 04:28 PM

Kinda looks like the wrong temp plugs. Might go up one step and see.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn
Does anyone have any good starting resources or guides for tuning a modded L67? I've watched some videos on the basics of using their software, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding good guides on tuning the L67 specifically.
Not sure about HPT specific ones as I've never used it. I'd probably try searching their forum in the v6 section?

As for general guides, I got started with Gary's guide, although I havent been able to find a copy that's posted anymore. I'll try to take a look later to see if I can find a live version still up somewhere. The advice is a bit outdated, but it had pretty in depth discussion on the way to tune.

The other thing I'd search for on the HPT forums is what they're using to make fuel adjustments. While doing the initial part throttle fuel tuning, you'll go out and collect STFT/LTFT scan data from numerous cells to see how far off those are from stoich. To dial it in, you adjust fueling in those cells in proportion to how big the fuel trims were. It's a major pain doing it cell by cell, but theyve probably got an Excel file or a macro to help make it easier (automatically adjusts all the cells based on the FT data)

Also, so I don't accidentally use up the stupid credits HPTuners require, I should use them on my current canned PCM and then use a stock file and copy all the stock values over, right? Or should I leave my current PCM tune read only and save it, and then use the credits on the stock tune and flash that instead?
Dont know enough about HPT, but isnt it credits per VIN? That would make me think that regardless what data is in the pcm now, you should only have to spend 1 set of credits regardless which data set you start with. Could be wrong though as I'm not sure how HPT identifies different cars.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's a pretty basic engine. It's mostly just MAF curve adjustments and timing changes.

You'll need to start by setting up your histograms in VCMScanner based on the charts you'll be changing in the HPT Editor.

So first thing you do is open up the scanner, and add all of the channels that you want to monitor, then you build charts (histograms) based off of those channels. Then you log and scan and make adjustments as needed.

Do you have a wideband? You need it to tune WOT. You need to know your AFR while plugged into HPTuners.

I mostly look at the KR table, and STFT+LTFT against MAF graph that I built.

I run a muliplier to automatically skew my MAF based on the STFT+LTFT which richens or leans my MAF against how the car is responding to the air.

Then when my fuel trims are all around 0 to -5, I make sure there's no KR and try to add a little timing throughout. Keep scaling and adding timing until there's knock and then stop.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Not sure about HPT specific ones as I've never used it. I'd probably try searching their forum in the v6 section?

As for general guides, I got started with Gary's guide, although I havent been able to find a copy that's posted anymore. I'll try to take a look later to see if I can find a live version still up somewhere. The advice is a bit outdated, but it had pretty in depth discussion on the way to tune.

The other thing I'd search for on the HPT forums is what they're using to make fuel adjustments. While doing the initial part throttle fuel tuning, you'll go out and collect STFT/LTFT scan data from numerous cells to see how far off those are from stoich. To dial it in, you adjust fueling in those cells in proportion to how big the fuel trims were. It's a major pain doing it cell by cell, but theyve probably got an Excel file or a macro to help make it easier (automatically adjusts all the cells based on the FT data)
Gotcha. I searched around for Gary's guide and found this one, however the pictures on it don't work. If you have old saved links that are dead, you might be able to find them on Wayback Machine.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Dont know enough about HPT, but isnt it credits per VIN? That would make me think that regardless what data is in the pcm now, you should only have to spend 1 set of credits regardless which data set you start with. Could be wrong though as I'm not sure how HPT identifies different cars.
Not sure, I believe its by VIN.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
It's a pretty basic engine. It's mostly just MAF curve adjustments and timing changes.

You'll need to start by setting up your histograms in VCMScanner based on the charts you'll be changing in the HPT Editor.

So first thing you do is open up the scanner, and add all of the channels that you want to monitor, then you build charts (histograms) based off of those channels. Then you log and scan and make adjustments as needed.

Do you have a wideband? You need it to tune WOT. You need to know your AFR while plugged into HPTuners.

I mostly look at the KR table, and STFT+LTFT against MAF graph that I built.

I run a muliplier to automatically skew my MAF based on the STFT+LTFT which richens or leans my MAF against how the car is responding to the air.

Then when my fuel trims are all around 0 to -5, I make sure there's no KR and try to add a little timing throughout. Keep scaling and adding timing until there's knock and then stop.
Thanks Chibi, that at least gets me pointed in the right direction. I do not have a wideband, although I am planning to get one for my pillar pod. Should I wait to do this until I get one, or can I at least get a tune that fixes this spark plug eating issue with the narrowband O2?

Old 01-03-2020, 04:16 PM

15 Year Member

Does your HPTuners have the ability to accept a wideband? This is key for tuning boost at WOT.

With the narrowband, just make sure you are running it richer. Make sure the cells are about -5 in your LTFT.

I haven't really been following along. Are you currently tuned?

Old 01-03-2020, 04:26 PM

15 Year Member

Oh also, if you want Gary's tuning guide, I'm pretty sure I have the word document version still saved on my machine.

Shoot me a PM with your email address, I can give you the guide, and I can send you my VCMScanner set up. You can export channel lists and histograms, so I think I can give you my set up

Old 01-03-2020, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member

Does your HPTuners have the ability to accept a wideband? This is key for tuning boost at WOT.

With the narrowband, just make sure you are running it richer. Make sure the cells are about -5 in your LTFT.
Uh not sure, from a quick google it seems like yes, but with tricks? I bought the MPVI2 non-pro version, and it doesn't seem to support external inputs. However there are a few forum threads saying you can read wideband from the AC pressure circuit or the EGR input. I'm not really sure what that means or how that works though.

I haven't really been following along. Are you currently tuned?
In short, I had a tune done at a local performance shop after putting on a N* TB and LQ4 MAF and both I and bumpin don't think it was very well done, mainly because A. they said they weren't able to read KR while tuning, and B. because AFR and timing changes had no effect on the dyno readings.

Oh also, if you want Gary's tuning guide, I'm pretty sure I have the word document version still saved on my machine.

Shoot me a PM with your email address, I can give you the guide, and I can send you my VCMScanner set up. You can export channel lists and histograms, so I think I can give you my set up
Will do, thanks!

Old 01-03-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn
I do not have a wideband, although I am planning to get one for my pillar pod. Should I wait to do this until I get one, or can I at least get a tune that fixes this spark plug eating issue with the narrowband O2?
You can definitely complete the part throttle / non PE fuel tuning as that needs to be completed first anyways. The AFR target is 14.7 for that part, so its right in the accurate range of the stock sensor.

If a wideband was already on the near term mod list, I'd wait until you get it for the PE tuning. You certainly can complete the tune it without- people have done it for years by reading plugs and such, but it does make it much easier and is the method you'll find in almost any pro tuning shop.

Then when my fuel trims are all around 0 to -5, I make sure there's no KR and try to add a little timing throughout.
IMO -5 is too much, especially for a basic bolt on setup like this. It's just a matter of more repetitions to get that dialed in closer. I'm just not a fan of having it lock in pulling that much fueling going into PE.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member

Alright so update,
I got a wideband AFR gauge installed and got everything tuned up nicely, the MAF error is under +/- 2% across the board, and my VE table is close enough. I also ended up installing new coilpacks and wires as I noticed a few of the connections were getting very rusty, and in the case of #4, I could pull the wire off the coil pack with my pinky finger. Not sure if this was the cause of my misfires WOT or not, but everything is running great now. I have done quite a few WOT pulls and the spark plugs seem perfectly fine now, and I've got no KR.

Quick question now. I noticed that my injector duty cycle is hitting 100% right at the redline, is it time for bigger injectors? Is it a case of the injectors being fine until I add any more mods, or should I get bigger ones now so they don't max out at the redline?