Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

LS4 swap on 2002 3.4 Monte

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 PM
1 Year Member
Talking LS4 swap on 2002 3.4 Monte

So I've decided to not turbo my 3.4 and instead swap a 5.3 into it. Only question is what all do I need to make this swap work? I've seen them done on other 2000-05 montes and I really want to do it to mine. Then eventually turbo the ls4. Any suggestions, advice, help?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I say this as a guy who has NOT done this, but from seeing some of the other swaps.
You will need a bulk of a donor car. Engine, the transmission (even though it is a 4t65e like the 2000-2005 Montes, it's gear different), wiring harnesses, fuse panels/blocks, PCM and possibly much more (such as I'm not sure if the sub-frame is required).

The problem most people have is the cost for the donor parts, because the end result is mostly swapping all the guts from one gen/style to an older gen/style of the car. As a result, some people go from the LA1 (3400) to a L36 (3800) or L67 (3800 SC), as that is a more direct swap and parts available all over the place (or even getting a full donor car is easier/cheaper).

I'd highly suggest as you roll forward with the LS4 swap, keep an on going thread with pics and information. It would help others with the same questions.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I say this as a guy who has NOT done this, but from seeing some of the other swaps.
You will need a bulk of a donor car. Engine, the transmission (even though it is a 4t65e like the 2000-2005 Montes, it's gear different), wiring harnesses, fuse panels/blocks, PCM and possibly much more (such as I'm not sure if the sub-frame is required).

The problem most people have is the cost for the donor parts, because the end result is mostly swapping all the guts from one gen/style to an older gen/style of the car. As a result, some people go from the LA1 (3400) to a L36 (3800) or L67 (3800 SC), as that is a more direct swap and parts available all over the place (or even getting a full donor car is easier/cheaper).

I'd highly suggest as you roll forward with the LS4 swap, keep an on going thread with pics and information. It would help others with the same questions.

Well I've seen it done on an 05' and I believe the transmission is a 4t80e and he had it turboed but for now I just want to do the swap. From what I read and seen its not as much as a hassle as you would think. I'm not exactly trying to get this all done at once. Trying to turn it into a projecr. I'm fine with my Monte right now, just doing things as the money comes.body work first, then engine, then interior. I want my monte to look different from any other you'd see on the street. Also I don't want the 3800 sc, a lot of people have it and it only puts out 240 and they're only running like 8 psi.and I don't want to spend the money to up that. I'd rather go with a 300+ hp block and go from there

Last edited by AlexRose; 12-30-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm guessing you're talking about the car Brandon Furches did. gray 05 that he swapped an LS4 into with a 4t80 setup and turboed. Brandon runs a performance shop so he had everything he needed at his disposal. The factory transmission with an LS4 is a 4t65e-hd. I believe the biggest issue besides physically making it fit, is the tuning and electronic aspect.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:38 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I'm guessing you're talking about the car Brandon Furches did. gray 05 that he swapped an LS4 into with a 4t80 setup and turboed. Brandon runs a performance shop so he had everything he needed at his disposal. The factory transmission with an LS4 is a 4t65e-hd. I believe the biggest issue besides physically making it fit, is the tuning and electronic aspect.
Cause the 3.8 n/a isn't worth it cause my 3.4 will walk the ss. I've driven one and tbh its slower. And the 3.8 s/c isn't worth it either cause to be supercharged and only pushing 240 isn't all that appealing either. Nothing sounds and feels better than a v8, now don't get me wrong I love my car and how it sounds straight piped but a v6 only sounds and feels so good. My two favorite cars ever are the 69 dart with 340 small block and the 87 gnx with 3.8 turbo but v8's will always win me over. And I want the 5.3 for sound, horse, and to eventually turbo it to make it all that much better cause I only know of like two ls4 turbo montes from 6th 7th gen

Old 12-30-2015, 11:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a lot of experience with the 3800 and 3400 engines over the years with friends and family. The stock 3400 is around 175-180HP if I recall, stock L36 is about 200, I thought (and may be wrong) a stock L67 was 220HP.
My ex had a 3400 in a '05 Impala, it was peppy, but overall could not beat my stock 3800 Monte. The stock 3800's I've driven outperform all stock 3400's I've driven (but the lighter body of an n-body car like my Grand Am with a 3400 gives that car some edge because of weight differences).
I completely understand not having something like everyone else (there is a fair amount of mods on my Monte that you will not find the same on any other and a good amount of the important mods I fabricated myself). The only way to have v8 sound is like you said, a v8 (no exhaust kit is going to match a true v8).

I've seen the gray Monte with the LS4 swap, that is pretty SICK! Lots of time, work and money went into that car, without a doubt!

I speculate the actual swap is probably not a huge problem (as most of the chassis from a LS4 car is probably very similar to the L36/L67/LA1 powered cars). As I mentioned the biggest problems are knowing what you are actually going to need (hence if you had access to a full donor car, that would be a huge help), next is the total cost and lastly is sourcing the donor parts.

I would certainly recommend lots of pics and sharing about this project. This type of stuff is not often done and really cool.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by AlexRose
Cause the 3.8 n/a isn't worth it cause my 3.4 will walk the ss. I've driven one and tbh its slower. And the 3.8 s/c isn't worth it either cause to be supercharged and only pushing 240 isn't all that appealing either. Nothing sounds and feels better than a v8, now don't get me wrong I love my car and how it sounds straight piped but a v6 only sounds and feels so good. My two favorite cars ever are the 69 dart with 340 small block and the 87 gnx with 3.8 turbo but v8's will always win me over. And I want the 5.3 for sound, horse, and to eventually turbo it to make it all that much better cause I only know of like two ls4 turbo montes from 6th 7th gen
If a turbo LS4 is your end goal, save yourself money and headaches and just buy a monte with the LS4. Turboing is not new to the LS4 community, a decent amount of people have done it.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:12 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
If a turbo LS4 is your end goal, save yourself money and headaches and just buy a monte with the LS4. Turboing is not new to the LS4 community, a decent amount of people have done it.
I just don't want to buy a 7th gen cause personally I think it's an ugly impala with a Monte rear end but I do respect the car and I respect the 6th gen ss, its quick but idk if it was the one I drove or what but mine had more power and pickup then the ss I drove. I could drag mine out to 50 with power. And the ss could hit 40 but less pick up. But I'm not here to compare cars I love all montes and love the community and just want to do a cool swap and encourage others to do so as well

Last edited by AlexRose; 12-31-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by AlexRose
Also I don't want the 3800 sc, a lot of people have it and it only puts out 240 and they're only running like 8 psi.and I don't want to spend the money to up that. I'd rather go with a 300+ hp block and go from there
I understand your point about wanting to be different, but honestly the other two points don't make much sense.

Sure, stock they only put out 240/260 hp (l67/l32), but it takes very few mods to get them to 300 crank hp, and there is plenty of aftermarket available to make more power than you can ever use in a fwd setup on the street. Sure, it takes some money and mods to do this, but 3800s are a dime a dozen, a ls4 and 4t80 will likely be a lot more expensive from the start which is money that could've been put into modding a 3800 to get the power level you're after. My point is, don't let starting hp be the deciding factor for you- honestly 300 hp out of a 5.3L v8 isn't all that great nowadays either.

The second thing I don't understand is the concern with the low boost number. If you're worried about a big boost number for bragging rights, get an NA 3800, slap a turbo, IC, and e85 on it and crank the boost. Plenty of 3800 guys run 20+ psi. Sure, you're not going to see 40+ psi setups like on some of the hardcore import car builds, but again - a turbo kit at 20+ psi will be more than enough for a fwd street car anyways.

One other thing I was thinking of - if you want an ls4 but don't like the 7th gen monte look, perhaps you can swap front bodywork with your current car (fenders, hood, bumper). I don't know for sure that you can do that, but I would think it would be a lot more straightforward than and engine/trans swap. I've just seen too many engine swap cars turn into a buggy mess that the owner just sells to get rid of it. If you can get the engine you want in the car you want from the factory, it'll likely be a ton more reliable.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-03-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:42 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I understand your point about wanting to be differentI mean I've , but honestly the other two points don't make much sense.

Sure, stock they only put out 240/260 hp (l67/l32), but it takes very few mods to get them to 300 crank hp, and there is plenty of aftermarket available to make more power than you can ever use in a fwd setup on the street. Sure, it takes some money and mods to do this, but 3800s are a dime a dozen, a ls4 and 4t80 will likely be a lot more expensive from the start which is money that could've been put into modding a 3800 to get the power level you're after. My point is, don't let starting hp be the deciding factor for you- honestly 300 hp out of a 5.3L v8 isn't all that great nowadays either.

The second thing I don't understand is the concern with the low boost number. If you're worried about a big boost number for bragging rights, get an NA 3800, slap a turbo, IC, and e85 on it and crank the boost. Plenty of 3800 guys run 20+ psi. Sure, you're not going to see 40+ psi setups like on some of the hardcore import car builds, but again - a turbo kit at 20+ psi will be more than enough for a fwd street car anyways.

One other thing u was thinking of - if you want an ls4 but don't like the 7th gen monte look, perhaps you can swap front bodywork with your current car (fenders, hood, bumper). I don't know for sure that you can do that, but I would think it would be a lot more straightforward than and engine/trans swap. I've just seen too many engine swap cars turn into a buggy mess that the owner just sells to get rid of it. If you can get the engine you want in the car you want from the factory, it'll likely be a ton more reliable.
I mean I've definitely thought of swapping the fenders bumpers etc, but deep down I know its not the same car, and when I was talking about boost numbers I was referring to how some people who have the sc and haven't modded it any further think its the fastest vcar ever and its not, and I'm not saying everyone does I'm just saying its hard to brag when the power rating is so low. Just how like people with those gay kia's or Chevy sonics with those small turbos think their car is slick but they're running 1.6-2.0 liter motor and the turbo is basically meant for fuel economy not street performance , idk but I'll figure out what I'm doing for the swap