Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Lowering Engine Heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Lowering Engine Heat

Alright, so i know everyone wants to know how to lower their engine heat, because heat=less power. i know that coating your headers can help, fully synthetic oil, and wrapping your exhaust can also help? from what ive read. so if anyone else knows any easy ways to lower heat you can post it here

Old 09-06-2009, 12:03 PM

if you wrap your crossover pipe i would recommend using some silicone sealer to protect the wrap from the elements. otherwise the wrap holds in the moisture and rusts your pipes/manifolds etc.

i wrapped my MAF with a 4" piece of hose to further combat heatsoak since the IAT is in the MAF.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member

did you notice any real decrease in heat?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM

The problem with wraps is three fold: moisture, air, uneven temperatures.

with wraps the moisture could lead to rust, which while certainly true is not the main reason I would be concerned with moisture. The wraps do not provide an uninterrupted covering of the header which can lead to air and water getting under the wraps particularly at the ends and joints of the wrap and air is trapped under the wrap when the wrap is put on. further because the wrap will either be overlapped or abutted to the previous pass you will get uneven temperatures which cause uneven expansion of the pipe leading to metal fatigue. this problem is only made worse by the presence of air and moisture, which will expand when exposed to heat.

Bottom line, when it comes to header wraps: don't.

Now on the other-hand for coatings, not all coatings are created equal. Some are only good to a hair over a thousand degrees, and some are not fully cured until the vehicle is run. and the coating is only as good as the prep. coating pipes that have not been properly degreased and profiled will result in a failure of the coating. Although some coatings are sold over the counter, If you are not experienced with thin film coatings, expect to do some experiments with the material to become familiar with it. On the other hand, a good coating's performance benefits can't be beat, but make sure that if you run a turbo, nitrous, or any other mods which increase your egt (Exhaust Gas Temperature). you make sure the coating chosen will handle the elevated egt.

i hope this helps!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What about using a 160 degree thermostat?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

with header coading i haveheard jet hot is a good company that will do the inside and out

Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bahdeets
What about using a 160 degree thermostat?
160 may help, but it could wreak havoc during the winter...

Old 09-06-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member

so there really isnt anything "easy" to do for this?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 PM

wouldnt cutting ports or some kind of holes into the fender or hood? you just gotta make sure you protect them from the water

Old 09-07-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member

ehh, dont really wanna cut anything if i dont need to haha, ill have to run some sort of tubing to my intake to keep things cooler

Quick Reply: Lowering Engine Heat