Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Low engine oil light

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Low engine oil light

Have been having issues with my low engine oil light/add engine oil light coming on before my last few services (Roughly anywhere from 200-400 or so miles before car is due for service, which I do every 3000 miles).
The dealership has checked it the last few times before service and said that it isn't registering low on the dipstick, and more recently they have told me that it may possibly be a problem with the oil pump, but would have to do an analysis to know if this is infact the problem.
Before I shell out 100 bucks for the analysis which may be pointless, has anyone else had this problem, or if not does the oil pump issue sound like a logical cause?
Any input would be great, thanks!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 AM

Wow, having this problem on an '06 is pretty alarming. I can't say for sure on your car but previous cars I have had only had the engine oil low light come when the oil is so low it only registers a couple of p.s.i. I believe it is sensing the actual oil pressure and there is not like a float or anything in the pan measuring the level. I would say that if the light comes on and then goes out, the oil pump could be the suspect. Again, maybe someone with some more experience with Montes will chime in.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sliver
Wow, having this problem on an '06 is pretty alarming. I can't say for sure on your car but previous cars I have had only had the engine oil low light come when the oil is so low it only registers a couple of p.s.i. I believe it is sensing the actual oil pressure and there is not like a float or anything in the pan measuring the level. I would say that if the light comes on and then goes out, the oil pump could be the suspect. Again, maybe someone with some more experience with Montes will chime in.
Yeah, like I said the light has only been coming on at the tail end of the miles before its due for service, and will come on every time immediately after starting the car, but every time they have said it is registering fine on the dipstick, because they told me to make sure they check it and add any oil if need be so that it can be documented by the dealer. It goes away after it has been serviced, so the timing of it confuses me some, not like its on all the time, but since the oil isnt actually low something else is throwing the code

Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

might want to try the replacing the oil level sensor. it might be on its way out and telling the car you are low...just a guess

Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I'm not an expert in oil pumps, BUT, does your car have an oil pressure guage? If so, when you rev the car, does the pressure increase and when you let off of it does it decrease? If so, I'm not sure I would suspect a oil pump.

In all GMs I have worked with, the low oil light usually means you are 1.5-2 quarts low on oil. If the dipstick is showing you have sufficient oil, perhaps the oil level switch (in my experience located in the oil pan) is failing??

Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

i don't wanna scare ya, but that's exactly what mine was doing when i realized it was using oil with the DOD. About the only thing i can think of is that when you check the dipstick the oil hasn't settled from when it was running and it's still hitting the dipstick after you wipe it off to make you think there's still oil at that level. Good luck

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jester_20
i don't wanna scare ya, but that's exactly what mine was doing when i realized it was using oil with the DOD. About the only thing i can think of is that when you check the dipstick the oil hasn't settled from when it was running and it's still hitting the dipstick after you wipe it off to make you think there's still oil at that level. Good luck
I've read some into the problems with DOD, but by no means an expert on it, did you end up turning yours off or what did you do to solve the problem?

I have personally checked it, and always check once, wipe off, check again, and the dealer has also checked it because they want to be the ones to document, or add and document if it is low, but it has been fine.

I have wondered as well if possibly the sensor is failing, but again to me that doesn't seem entirely logical either due to the timing of the issue.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

I got really REALLY lucky and called gm to see when my powertrain warranty was up and it ended up being like 2 days away so i got it in ASAP. they ended up changing the oil pan gasket and cleaning the engine up really well. The oil pan gasket has some sort of shield to stop the oil from getting into the pistons and burning upon ignition. there are a bunch of threads on here about the problem, but that's what happened with the "angel"

idk what to tell ya other than my DIC would read low oil level anywhere from 2,800 to 2,500 on a 3,000 mile oil change. After the first time i figured i must have forgot to put the last qt. of oil in (since i always get the 5 quart bottle at walmart and our car takes 6) but the second time i remembered reading something on here about it and called gm as soon as i could since it's a known problem.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jester_20
I got really REALLY lucky and called gm to see when my powertrain warranty was up and it ended up being like 2 days away so i got it in ASAP. they ended up changing the oil pan gasket and cleaning the engine up really well. The oil pan gasket has some sort of shield to stop the oil from getting into the pistons and burning upon ignition. there are a bunch of threads on here about the problem, but that's what happened with the "angel"

idk what to tell ya other than my DIC would read low oil level anywhere from 2,800 to 2,500 on a 3,000 mile oil change. After the first time i figured i must have forgot to put the last qt. of oil in (since i always get the 5 quart bottle at walmart and our car takes 6) but the second time i remembered reading something on here about it and called gm as soon as i could since it's a known problem.
Thats basically exactly what mine is doing, if its a known problem I would assume same "symptoms" same solution or cause to the problem. I have extended warranty for 60k or 10 yrs so that wouldnt be an issue, I will definitely stop by the dealer here next time im going somewhere and ask them about it. Seems to make sense, and would be burning more oil than it should, or more than any really, and certainly wouldnt be running at 100% if that is the case.