Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

low coolant light

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Default low coolant light

Ok I have a 02 3.8 ss and the low coolant light is on. I've located the sensor hopefullt its the right one is there one int the coolant tank itself?? I just don't know how to remove it so I can change it or clean it can anybody help thanks

Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM

These engines are an engineering nightmare. There is a thermometer and sensor inside the tank as well. Unfortunately it's hard to get to. I have a v6 and had the same problem. I ended up having to take out the intake manifold to get to it, about a 2 hour process. After you take that out you can get inside. That is if you have one of Chevys stock v8's. Hope that helps

Old 03-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Couple of questions,

1) Did you check the level, were you really low or is the low coolant light coming on in error?
2) Are you running dexcool?
3) How old is the dexcool (if you are running dexcool, and seriously do you still have that crap in there?)

My Trans Am threw the Low Coolant light when it was full, I had it flushed and switched to Green coolant and the Low Coolant light has never come on since. (I am going to flush it again, just to make sure all that rotten deathcool is out) but that is what I did, so you may need a new sensor, or a flush. Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 PM

i have dexcool in mine but it is green as in the dark green like healthy grass color type of green. i know there is two types of dexcool the orange dexcool and the green type. i know my car calls for the gren type of dexcool. and it runs pretty good no errors so i think the green type is alot better.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 PM

I had my coolant sensor go off, and its unplugged, and still unplugged. That thing is pretty annoying *chime chime chime* "Low Coolant Level" *chime chime chime*. The coolant sensor is pretty common to go out. A way to fix that is to

A. Get a new one
B. Get a radiator flush

or

C. Pull out the sensor and clean it (for temporary time)

Yes i do keep a check on my coolant

Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Green dexcool?

There is orange, and pink/red. Green isn't dexcool... when was the green put in?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 AM

While we're at it, is green harmful as long as you make sure they don't mix and get a flush prior to adding it?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have to REALLY make sure you get all the dex-cool out before you switch to green, if they come in contact they will turn to mud/sludge.

I just keep my dexcool flushed each year.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:08 PM

Very true, the last owner of my monte must have done it that way, I've done the flush twice and everytime I open the radiator cap, I have to clean that sludge off.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 PM

2002 SS 3800 series II My light came on after the gauge was reading strait up.whatever that is.I just put a lower intake gasket on it about 500 miles back and have been keeping a sharp eye on the gauge.
I was parked at a transmission shop letting them listen to the ticking noise that was diagnosed as busted flywheel.I know flex-plate but no one acts like they know what I am talking about if I say Flex-plate.
When I went to pull away I noticed it was reading strait up on the gauge.The low coolant light came on and i pulled over and looked around but found nothing.
It stayed on for about 15 miles to the house.I checked every thing again found nothing.I checked the oil it was clean.I looked down the valve cover all clean.I checked the coolant level it is full.I re-bleed the system at the thermostat housing.I started it back up after it had cooled down.It was still on.I then unhooked the negative cable to try to reset everything.It stayed on.I let it set about 5 hours and took it for a short drive and the %^&* thing went off.
The query is What made it come on?Will it come on again for no apparent resone?
Thanks for any help or thoughts.

Quick Reply: low coolant light