Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): looking into a ss, ?? about transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default looking into a ss, ?? about transmission

im gonna bite the bullet on a 07 monte ss. ive seen ALOT of 7th gen ss's with rebuilt transmissions. i know the trannys are kind of the weak point for these ls4 cars. my question, is there somethings that can be done to help prevent total failure of the transmissions? obviously flush regularly, and i would more than likely install synthetic fluid as well. do these get hot enough to consider getting an external tranny cooler a well as leaving the factory cooler? i just dont wanna spend good coin on these cars, and then have a complete failure. i do understand ill always be taking a risk buying a used car. but just trying to make certain for as much of a trouble free experience that i can do. thanks

Old 03-02-2015, 04:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Do NOT flush the transmission, drop the pan and change the fluid.
Things you can do to help, Get a shift kit, Tranny cooler, or upgrade with someone like Triple Edge Performance

Old 03-02-2015, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member

can i ask why no, to a flush?

i was browsing the forum, and found a company called get overkilled. they claim they can make the tranny shift faster, and smoother, and say they can do almost all of what a actual hard part shift kit can do, is that something that would help out? or still physically install the shift kit on top of that tune?

from their site:
Optimized shift schedule at part throttle for increased performance
Improved shift feel, reduced shift time
Revised Torque Management retained to reduce engine power during upshift, reduce stress
Reduces driveline loss under cruise to increase throttle response, improve MPG
Reduces/eliminates issues such as shudder from standstill, slip on 1-2 shift under heavy throttle, torque converter lockup oscillation, soft 2-3 shift

Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

If you flush it you stir up debris and could really clog up the valve body passages etc and make the trans worse.

A tune can help with shifts etc but I much rather have the correct parts (shift kit) doing the work instead of increasing line pressure etc in the tune and hoping factory parts that were not made to see increased line pressures hold up.

Get a hold of dave at triple edge performance and he will help with all your trans needs. He is very knowledgeable and a great guy to deal with. He will also give you some pointers to look for to tell if the trans seems ok or not.

Before I went spending money on a external trans cooler I would monitor trans temps and see if one is needed. If one is needed it's your call on either adding a external online and keeping factory cooler or just deleting the factory cooler and running external only. On mine I am only running a external one as the factory cooler inside the rad would not cool trans fluid under what engine coolant was and would also warm up trans fluid to engine coolant temps. When I went external only my trans temps are always lower than my engine coolant temps and I love it.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member

ok not doing the flush makes sense.

how would i go about monitoring trans temps? do i temporarily install a trans temp gauge? is there a write up for installing one?

im pretty mechanically inclined. but havent really messed with auto transmissions. is a shift kit fairly easy to install? or should i take it to a shop to do?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The shift kit is easy to install, just drop the pan and you have access to what you need. I don't have a write up for a trans temp gauge handy (currently on lunch break at work) but you could get an Aeroforce scan gauge (or something similar) that will observe that info through the OBD-II port.

I absolutely LOVE 7th gen SS' and if I were to start all over again, I'd probably buy one. But with those cars, the question isn't will the tranny go out, the real question is when will it go out. If only the 4T80E would have been able to mate with the LS4.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

I would start with a shift kit, cooler, and a good tune. I change my transmission fluid ever 20k so I know what's going on. I suggest your first pan drop to install a Dorman pan with a drain plug. It will make life much easier I wish I did that from the start.

I also use the app Torque for Android to monitor my transmission temps. Ideally you don't want to see 200 degree temps. I try to keep mine 180 and below. I fit the biggest cooler I could in front of my radiator. But still went through the radiator with the hoses. I plan to go stand alone this spring.

Last edited by xxtheshockerxx; 03-05-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
The shift kit is easy to install, just drop the pan and you have access to what you need. I don't have a write up for a trans temp gauge handy (currently on lunch break at work) but you could get an Aeroforce scan gauge (or something similar) that will observe that info through the OBD-II port.

I absolutely LOVE 7th gen SS' and if I were to start all over again, I'd probably buy one. But with those cars, the question isn't will the tranny go out, the real question is when will it go out. If only the 4T80E would have been able to mate with the LS4.
i have a feeling ill love the 7th gen ss too. i had a 07 grand prix gxp and loved it. sold it because im 6'6 and its too hard to squeeze into a 4 door. so go for the same car in a 2 door makes sense to me.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I would start with a shift kit, cooler, and a good tune. I change my transmission fluid ever 20k so I know what's going on. I suggest your first pan drop to install a Dorman pan with a drain plug. It will make life much easier I wish I did that from the start.

I also use the app Torque for Android to monitor my transmission temps. Ideally you don't want to see 200 degree temps. I try to keep mine 180 and below. I fit the biggest cooler I could in front of my radiator. But still went through the radiator with the hoses. I plan to go stand alone this spring.
when i get this 07 ss, i was planning on doing a shift kit, and a tune. then monitor the trans temp and see where im at, to justify if i need a external addon cooler or not. you have a link for the pan with the drain plug? that sounds a lot more handy than dropping the pan and the mess that comes with that. lol
i have the torque app as well,and the adaptor to use it with my phone and car. so i will monitor temps via that for a while, but id still feel better about physically installing a gauge in the car to monitor, as itd be easier to read than my phone constantly.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tranny pan can be found here:

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/246-4T65e-Aluminum-Transmission-Pan.aspx

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): looking into a ss, ?? about transmission