Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Build: Long time but finally happening

Old 07-09-2019, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Long time but finally happening

So I know this is a long overdue post from me. The Monte has been in a barn for the past 4 years but itís coming back better than ever!

Emissions testing in Ontario is gone so itís the perfect time to do some work that will be not so environmentally friendly.
Iíve got L67 heads that got full port polished, oversized stainless valves, bronze guides and port matched intake. My SC pulley is down to 2.8Ē with a ZZP intercooler and the SC is ported. YT 1.9ís and LS6 springs. SLP headers and exhaust front to rear with the cat U-bend delete. Iím still deciding which cam to run but Iíll get the LS6 lifters (likely an Intense stage 2 blower cam). All this going on an L36 engine with other existing mods that will likely be the death of my transmission in the near future but meh, itís worth it.
After a quick generic PCM flash Iíll head down to Intense for a dyno tune (6.5 hours drive).

I donít really have questions but just wanted to write this post to let everyone know Iím still keeping the Monte going and Iím not dead lol.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member

Welcome back! Look forward to seeing some updates!!

Old 07-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Justin Knight View Post
YT 1.9ís and LS6 springs. SLP headers and exhaust front to rear with the cat U-bend delete. Iím still deciding which cam to run but Iíll get the LS6 lifters (likely an Intense stage 2 blower cam).
Couple things to keep in mind:
-You wont want to run that cam plus the 1.9 rockers as that's a ton of combined lift. If you really want 600+ lift, just get it all ground into the cam with matching duration.
-Assuming you mean LS7 lifters, keep in mind that they're not really an upgrade, they're just standard replacement lifters for anyone going in for replacements now. Just didn't want you to expect some kind of high end race lifter, they're just new stock and aren't drastically different from what you've got now.
-Id skip the IS2 cam, they never really did super well. S1X does pretty well for a mild cam as did the S3 if you want something bigger, but I'd go with a different cam if you're looking for something in the middle. IIRC people have made more power with the S1X than the S2 despite it being a more mild cam. Other options are the XP and XPZ that both fall between the S1X and S3 that have both made good power.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-10-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Default Ordered everything needed.

I ended up getting comp R lifters and comp #125 springs. The 1.9ís and stage 2 cam are going in. The lift will be correct for what Iím doing. Took the engine apart and the 260kms of hard driving has taken most of the hash marks off the cylinder walls so Iíll be doing a hone out and likely do Piston and ring refreshing now as well. Better to get a tighter seal with boost anyway. Also thinking a meziere wp is gonna happen.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Justin Knight View Post
The 1.9ís and stage 2 cam are going in. The lift will be correct for what Iím doing.
Out of curiosity, who recommended that setup to you?

I know the total lift is fine for modded heads, but it's just an awful lobe profile to start with. If you're fine running that much lift, I dont know why you wouldn't want to take advantage of more duration as well - it's just an odd setup and would seem to be needlessly limiting.

Only reason I really mention it is no one has ever been able to make any real power with the S2. IIRC the world record wasn't much over 300 whp and the only common 3800 cam it was able to best was the S1 (which has long since been discontinued because it was so bad). Literally every other normal 3800 cam has proven to make more power (including the smaller S1X and VS). Its been awhile since I looked at the records list, but I could've swore there were people on the stock cam (with 1.9 rockers) making more power that some of the top 5 S2 cam guys.

Well, I wish you luck with it, itll definitely be an uphill battle!

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-14-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.