Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

L67 swap in a 03 LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I guess I'm a bit premature in saying a pump is toast. All I know at the moment is that I've only got about 10 psi at the rail, sometimes a little less. For sure there is no fuel going out the regulator, it seems completely closed.

I'm currently running dual walbro 255s. One is about 5 years older than the other. That's why I'm assuming that one died. Another option is that a feed hose came off in the tank, so one pump is pumping up to the rail, then the fuel is coming back down the other pressure hose (each pump feeds one rail with a crossover between the rails on the backside) and spraying all over the first pump inside the tank. I'll find out for sure when I have time to tear it all apart.

What pump I run kind of depends what I find when I open it up. If it's as simple as the older pump crapping out, I'll probably just stick another walbro in it since that's a cheap option.

If it's anything more serious/complex, I think I'm going to scrap the existing fuel tank altogether and just go to a fuel cell in the trunk. I see Aeromotive has a unit with a pump and level sender already built in for under $1k. I'd just have to buy the lines to hook it into my existing plumbing. I'd probably go with the Eliminator pump. It's technically more than I need, but I know those pumps aren't as great at higher rail pressures, so I want to make sure I've got some headroom. I've already got a speed controller, so I'm not worried about overheating the fuel at idle/low speed either.
I like the first idea of each pump feeding a rail, but then again a fuel cell would be nice too. John (Turbo Monte) might be able to help you out with that, i think he had some custom work done for his fueling on the rails.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Either I wasn't hanging out with the right crowds in college or the street scene has gotten obscenely fast in the last 5 or so years.

I remember when a heads/cam/converter catfish camaro car would pretty much dominate anything on the streets. Nowadays, it seems like you almost need a boosted v8 to be competitive. Tire technology has made drag radials that can hook insane power and still last almost 10k miles on the street, and the power figures for 'street cars' is out of control. I can't even count how many 1k whp street cars are local, and that doesn't count the guys that don't bring their cars out to flaunt their setups and dyno sheets.
Same thing around Indy, plenty of guys pushing well over 900hp, usually the goats have a procharger and spraying on top of that, those guys usually have around 1100whp. But people with the Evo's and STI's are killing the game too, they have serious power potential. Can't wait to see how SCT goes.