Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3rd Gen ('78-'80): Stainless Steel Radiator hoses

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Default Stainless Steel Radiator hoses

I have been looking and researching stainless steel radiator hoses for my 80 Monte with a 383 stroker motor. With so many different brands and manufactures out there, not sure what to pick. A few look very similar with large differences in price. My waterpump outlet is about 1 3/4", so that eliminates summitracing brand hoses that only go as high as 1 5/8. Others have different hose sleeve ends, which I would lean more towards polished aluminum ends, not plastic chrome plated. Most complaints I have read were the crappy hose clamps that would strip out, which I would happy using beefier clamps that I have in place of the supplied ones. So I am just trying to find the best SS hoses at a good price. Any recommendations? Has anyone been able to use a 48 inch stainless kit for both upper and lower hoses on their G-body vehicle?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:16 PM

i have a 74 Nova with a 73 307 5.0 liter. i bought the entire hose kit from JEGS by Spectre that included 25 inch upper hose, 2 heater hoses, fuel hose and vacuum hose, and of course all the clamps and covers. i spent 99 bucks on it, (to have the price go down to 83 2 weeks later) and its the actual hoses with SSTL sleeves on them. as opposed to just the sleeve kit which can run about 55 bucks.

i also bought an additional upper stainless hose that i was going to use on my lower end, not knowing at the time that the hose fits on the radiator but not the botom end of the water pump. im not sure that they make a stainless hose for the lower, at least i havent seen one. so i just have my regular autozone brand plain black hose down there

Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was thinking about getting a top hose for my Monte, prices are from 40 - 80 from what I saw online. check out Original Parts Group, Speedway Motors or Jegs. I'm surprised Summit Racing doesn't have the size you need. That's where I get most of my products. I've never seen a bottom hose either.