Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): L67 removing heads with engine in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default L67 removing heads with engine in the car?

Hello all,
My 04 Monte SS Supercharged has leaking LIM gaskets. Also, probably carbon buildup on 4th cylinder causing misfire.
Since I am there to change LIM gaskets, I decided to have a look at cylinder heads.

Is it possible to remove and then put back cylinder heads with engine in the car?

I have FelPro aluminum LIM gaskets and Victor Reinz cylinder head gasket set with plastic LIM gaskets.
Which one should I use?

Thanks for the help,
Ivo

Old 11-10-2016, 11:59 AM

Yes, it is possible to remove and replace the heads with the engine in the car. The only small pain is working with the bolts on the back head (mainly the exhaust manifold bolts). Lifting the back head back into place takes some arm strength also since it's so far back and pretty heavy.

As far as gaskets, id definitely do the aluminum LIM gaskets. For head gaskets, id stick oem gm on there. Never used the brand you have, so I cant comment on their quality.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Also, if you are doing one head gasket, do them both. Get it all out and done in one shot.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Victor Reinz is a reputable brand. I have a VR oil pan gasket on my engine, but used Felpro LIM & head gaskets. Definitely go with the aluminum LIM gaskets.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks for replies guys.

I will do both heads and coolant elbows. Also harmonic balancer is gone, so I will do it as well.

How can I check engine mounts? I fill a little shake when I put it in gear.

More questions to come... :-)

Cheers,
Ivo

Old 11-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's normal to feel the transmission go into gear. As long as it isn't banging or lurching, it should be OK. The mounts are your two dogbones up top, a mount at the bottom of the engine, and one on the opposite side on the transmission near the inner axle. Make sure your dogbones aren't cracked or anything, the other two mounts are hydraulic IIRC. Should be fairly obvious if they're damaged (in my experience, I've seen them noticeably bent, broken, etc)

Old 11-14-2016, 06:46 PM

Easy way to check them is just by trying to physically move the engine with your hand to see how much it moves around / how easily it moves.

The two dogbones up top are easy to visually inspect to check for cracking, deterioration, etc. The lower ones are a little more difficult. The drivers side one can be seen from the drivers side wheel well (obviously much easier with the wheel off). The passenger side is buried a bit, but it's condition can typically be inferred from the condition of the other 3 mounts.

If the other 3 mounts have rotten and cracked rubber, the passenger side is probably shot too.

Another thing is that some cars have hydraulic lower mounts. So if you see a crack in the rubber with fluid oozing from it, that mount is toast.

The factory mounts are pretty soft, so unless it's easy to move by hand, I wouldnt be too concerned. There are ways to stiffen them up if they're too loose for your taste. The upper mounts can be rotated 90* for a free mod. Plus there are also poly options for both the upper and lowers if you want it even stiffer.