Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Just added Trans Go 4T65E shift kit to my 2003

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Just added Trans Go 4T65E shift kit to my 2003

Just a quick update, I recently got a 2003 SS with 107,000 miles on it. Not sure when the fluid was changed but figure I would do it before winter sets in. I also purchased the Trans Go shift kit, as I've read they are a cheap upgrade for our transmissions.
First I disconected the negative battery cable as that allows the computer to reset itself.
I used a big plastic storage container to drain the fluid into, after removing all 20 bolts the fluid drained into the container very nicely, better than the old round oil drain pan I have used in the past that got half the fluid on the driveway. The old fluid was very dark and looked almost like old oil, but did not find metal chips in the pan, only the normal gray powder on the magnet. I pulled the old filter out and it dropped into the pan.
Adding the shift kit was simple, I removed the accumulator (4 bolts holding it in) and also loosened the other 7 bolts before removing it. Once I got it out I took it apart and cleaned it out with brake parts cleaner, and scuffed the pistons with a Scotchbrite pad as shown in the following link. I put in the new springs (found it was easier to hold the accumulator upside down then insert the piston/springs and fit the shaft into the hole that way. When I got all of the pistons/springs in I bolted the accumulator back together, put the pipes into it and bolted it back into the transmission. I tightened all the bolts up to 97 inch pounds using a Harbor Freight torque wrench.
Next I installed the pan, I used a couple of clothes pins to hold the gasket to the pan since it kept curling up and making it impossible to get the bolts liked up through the gasket. I put in 4 bolts on opposite corners and hand tightened them a little then took off the clothespins, and put in the rest of the bolts. I hand tightened them all, then torqued them down to 80 inch pounds, then finally to 120 inch pounds.
Next I filled up the transmission with 8 quarts of Dextron VI fluid. Very expensive but I got 2-4 quart jugs off of amazon for $60 + free shipping so not that bad.
When I reinstalled the negative cable for some reason the engine started up by itself (must be due to the aftermarket remote starter) but once I closed the door it shut off. It started right up with the key, and I could see no leaks so drove it around the block to see how it shifted... so far so good but did not notice a big difference, other than it seems to hold it to 3000 rpm before shifting to the next gear.
Here is a link with a very detailed instruction sheet that was very helpful, from tools needed to which bolts to remove first, very good. DIY How To Install TransGo Shift Kit 4T65E Very Detailed+Pictures

Dave C

Old 11-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Good deal. How long did it take you? I'm about to install a Transgo shift kit to assist my Overkill PCM

Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Considering the mileage.. and the color/condition of the fluid that may just hurt the trans in the long run...(Hoping it doesn't)

I have a good friend that owns a trans shop and has been maintaining mine for the past 10 yrs...
I did speak to him about using a shift kit in our type of transmissions...
He explained to me the only value of a "shift kit" is in a racing application only..
In a stock configuration...over time it will actually cause a lot of needless excessive wear in the bands clutchs drums,solenoids etc... Thus causing it to wear out prematurally..

However, My resolve to a shift kit VS it sliding in and out/shifting like sludge.(gliding through the gears) Like these transmissions tend to do.

I had a knowledgeable friend merely go into the transmission computer program and slightly increase the line pressure... It now shifts more positively/firmly as well as increased not only my throttle response but
slightly improved my fuel mileage do to not having to "Gas" it to get it up to speed on the surface streets and or the highway...
Many Thanks to Jason (Maniac) for his knowledge and expertise...ices...
Heres a link to Jason's Services
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/ <----- clicky

Just a little FYI...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-16-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member

Guess only time will tell if it hurts or improves it for the long run, but definitely had to change the filter and fluid (although did not do the full flush from the converter so might have enough of the "old sludge" to keep it running properly.
Vincenti, had the whole thing done in about 2 hours working at a leisurely pace, being sure to clean everything with brake clean and put it all back together properly. the longest part is removing all 20 bolts from the pan and putting them back in. Actually removing the accumulator and putting the new springs & sleeves in took about 5-10 minutes.
Dave

Old 11-17-2014, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member

Just a note, the Trans go shift kit I installed does not shift hard at all, unlike the old B&M shift kit I have in my El Camino, which is designed for racing, this one feels like it just holds the 1st-2nd gear until it gets up to 3000 rpm, there is no hard shift when it does change gears. And the 2-3 gear seems to change at 2000 rpm.
Have not tested any hard launches just typical driving to work and back, 10 miles on highway and 5 on city streets but so far no noticeable hard shift. But it was pouring rain today so did not want to spin the tires on the wet pavement lol!
Dave