Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Intake gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Intake gasket leak

So my car has been making a weird low sounding ticking noise.The noise is fast but somewhat quiet. The last time that happened it was a bad manifold gasket. Now it's the intake gasket

Any suggestions or tips on what to look out for when removing everything to get to the gasket? Even where I can find a good gasket kit for everything I will need?

I think I'm going to clean and paint my blower and my valve covers while I have them off too

Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 PM

RockAuto should carry the FelPro gasket kit. There's also a 5% off code in the vendor section at the bottom that they're giving us until May 8.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Orielly,autozone,napa all have the gaskets you will need,

i favor orielly

get the gasket kit felpro one so it has the aluminum, oil, oil filter, antifeeze, may as well go with the aluminum coolant elbows while your at it, t stat, would be a good time to suck out and replace some power steering fluid,

Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i prefer gm gaskets but thats just me, i know a lot of people used felpro gaskets and never had a problem but i would rather have gm factory gaskets...

Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 PM

FelPro are GM gaskets. They just make packaging for GM with their logos and branding. GM originally used FelPro, then went to Mr. Gasket around '05 and they've been back with FelPro for a while now. GM also urges all service centers not associated with GM directly to use FelPro gaskets (from my local mechanic).

Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ticking is typically an exhaust leak, or injector tick. If you had an intake gasket leak you would be losing antifreeze, oil, or have a vacuum leak.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

Well sounds like I will be going with FelPro lol any idea how much the whole gasket kit will cost?

Thanks nitehawkjcb! So is there an easy way to find out exactly where the exhaust leak is coming from? I know I have a vacuum leak somewhere I can hear it but Jesus I can't find it! Lol really wish I had enough for some serious mods now that I'm going to be somewhat deep in my engine. Perfect time for rockers but I'm still saving for a cam instead.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Get some carb cleaner and spray it around the vacuum lines. When your idle changes you've found your vac leak.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Get some carb cleaner and spray it around the vacuum lines. When your idle changes you've found your vac leak.
This.

You could seafoam the engine, that would make smoke come out of exhaust leaks... I usually just listen and look. Check the exhaust manifold gasket, crossover, and downpipe. If you have headers, check all connections. Same general idea.

Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge? If so, what's the vacuum at idle?

I get my gaskets from ZZP usually to be honest, but your local parts stores should carry the necessary gaskets.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member

usually I listen and look also, it sounds to me that it's coming from behind the blower. I'm thinking it's the purge solenoid but I'm not 100 percent.

I do have an aeroforce scanner gauge does that read vacuum?

Quick Reply: Intake gasket leak