Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Increase your mpg/fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Increase your mpg/fuel economy

hey guys i am wondering what do some of you guys do to increase your mpg. Currently i am getting 15.6 mpg and i should be getting around 17-20 mpg wit my 01 monte ss. I already ordered a cold air intake, changed cabin air filter, changed sparkplugs and wires, changed fuel filter, i am thinking about going to fully synthetic oil next change and do a fully sythentic tranny fluid change. The "knight" is only at 92k, i got her at 89k i get around 244-255miles per tank

so please tell me what do you guys to tell increase your mpg. Or what did yo do to increase mpg. All suggestions and comments are welcome for sure

Old 12-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Hi `George,
You just have to stop driving like a race car driver to expect to get better MPG's lol

Below is my contribution to your thread subject...I hope that it helps...Good Luck

Miles Per Gallon (MPG)

It is wise to begin with an understanding of the definition of MPG rate. Quite simply, this is the amount of mileage that your car can travel using one gallon of fuel. Figuring out your MPG takes a quick calculation which can be done right at the pump. It is important to know where the MPG range of your vehicle should be according to the manufacturer. This way you can be alerted early to any problems that may be occurring if your actual MPG differs from your normal MPG. Figuring out your MPG is a simple process: first, fill up your tank, second, reset your trip odometer, third, drive as you normally would for the remainder of your fuel supply. Once it is time to get gas again, fill up your tank completely. Now you know how many miles that same amount of fuel just took you, which will be displayed on the trip odometer. Divide the miles traveled by the gallons you just put back in the car and presto! You now have an accurate MPG for your car.Car Maintenance

Mechanically, there are a lot of factors that go into making your car drive. These same factors can also cause your MPG to diminish if they are not properly attended to. Some of these you may not even think affect your MPG, but they surely do.
  • Tire Inflation: Under or over-inflated tires do more than damage the tires themselves. Improperly filled tires can ruin your gas mileage. Inflate the tires to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended air pressure, regardless of what the tire itself says. More tire maintenance information.
  • Engine Tune-up: There are many ways in which an engine can be tuned for better performance and MPG. Check the air filter to ensure it is not clogged or overly dirty. A clogged air filter will reduce the efficiency of the engine, causing more fuel to be wasted. Also, your engine should be tuned-up regularly in common areas such as spark plugs and wires.
  • Motor Oil (PDF): Believe it or not, using the wrong grade of motor oil in your engine will reduce MPG. According to the US Department of Energy (DOE), using the manufacturer's recommended oil can improve your MPG.
Driving Methods

There also exist ways you can change your driving habits to improve your gas mileage. No single driving tweak is going to give you a big change in MPG. However, if you can practice a few or all of these methods routinely, the MPG savings will add up. The flatter the surface you are driving on, the less power your engine needs to move the vehicle. In this regard, you can improve your gas mileage by avoiding hills (if possible). Also, when you notice that a traffic light up ahead has turned red, slow down gradually instead of continuing at your current speed and then braking to a stop. This will prevent you from having to provide engine power to start the vehicle rolling again from a stop (which consumes more gasoline). Also, just by using the correct octane of fuel for your vehicle you can improve your MPG.
Speed is also a factor in your gas mileage. Your car will attain the maximum MPG when cruising between 40 and 60 miles per hour. This is due to your car's momentum assisting the vehicle in carrying itself forward. Even lower speeds below 40 miles per hour will not give you a very good MPG rate. A good estimation you can use is that for every 5 miles an hourover 60, your MPG rate will decrease by between 7 and 23%. Aerodynamics also have a role to play in gas mileage. Much as the operating efficiency of your engine affects mileage, so too will the amount of drag created by your vehicle. Carrying too much weight, not using cruise control, and adding more drag by having roof racks or other items that catch the wind will decrease your MPG.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member

thank you very much space for that information, i actually been told that i drive like a grandma tho, i do that though because i want to save gas and prolong my vehicles life. its crazy because i already do most of that information said too. i apreciate the facts tho

Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

try to seafoam the engine to get some of the built up deposits out

Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Buy a bottle of Chevron Techron at an auto parts store and add the whole bottle to an almost empty fuel tank, then fill up like normal.

It's the "brand name" essentially - it's GMs fuel cleaner that you can buy at a dealership for a bit more, but it's the same stuff. It's a fuel cleaner and it has a lube for the pump.

Then you can get a can of Seafoam like Mike said above - put half in the crankcase about 100 miles before your next oil change and suck the other half in through the brake booster line.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Great Suggestion Mod `Mike
---------------------------------
`George this stuff works great & it about a $12 investment..Cick below to read about it..

Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment < Click

<CITE style="FONT-STYLE: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)">www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html</CITE>
To control moisture buildup in2 cycle fuel, add 2 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of gas/oil premixed fuel. One ounce per gallon in oil injection 2 cycle engine fuel ...
FAQs - Why It Works - Where Can I Buy Sea Foam - Technical Information

================================================== ========================

Buy online, pick up in-store!

Last edited by Space; 12-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Holy monkey nuts! You are getting a little over half the mpg I get (~27mpg)! I mostly highway drive and rarely ever get on it. I run 45psi in tires, rarely use a/c, and use Mobil synthetic.

You have issues.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Yeah i get 9.3 l/100km which averages to 25.2 mpg. I do highway driving and city driving and thats with getting on it a bunch of times I know that the previous owner of my car only used synthetic oil for 8 years so that probably helps a bit. When i got my car i would avreage 11.3l/100km:0 I just changed to air filter to a fram, felt that my brakes were seizing so i replaced all 4 calipers, serviced all 4 disc brakes, reseated a tire that was leaking and filled them all up to 35psi and just like that i got it down to 9.3l Even when its -10 outside and my heat cranked i still get this, so i cant wait to see what ill get in the Summer

Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member

thanks a bunch guys ive read a few reviews and im going to give the chevron and seafoam a shot, keep the great ideas coming!!! and what mpg are you guys getting?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:17 PM

mine is averaging like 22 with dirty as hell oil

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Increase your mpg/fuel economy