Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): icm failure.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think you're chasing your tail as far as the MAF goes. It is not going to cause an ignition coil to stop producing energy. The car is displaying classic signs of a coil failure. The vehicle will run properly when cold, but when it warms up the windings in the coil (either primary or secondary) expand and short out. However, since you swapped coils around and the problem didn't follow the coil that eliminates it as being the source of the problem. That leaves the control module and the circuit that feeds it. The control module can exhibit the same signs as a failing coil. I would pull the control module and see if you can exchange it under warranty. If I was a gambling man that's where I would put my money.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I think you're chasing your tail as far as the MAF goes. It is not going to cause an ignition coil to stop producing energy. The car is displaying classic signs of a coil failure. The vehicle will run properly when cold, but when it warms up the windings in the coil (either primary or secondary) expand and short out. However, since you swapped coils around and the problem didn't follow the coil that eliminates it as being the source of the problem. That leaves the control module and the circuit that feeds it. The control module can exhibit the same signs as a failing coil. I would pull the control module and see if you can exchange it under warranty. If I was a gambling man that's where I would put my money.
According to this the MAF also controls the ECU....
Which also causes misfiring is what I was getting at....

The data is used to calculate air density and determine the engine's air mass flow rate, which in turn determines the required fuel metering for optimum combustion (see stoichiometry) and influence the advance or retard of ignition timing. A fuel-injected engine may alternately use a mass airflow sensor (MAF sensor) to detect the intake airflow.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Did pull it had it tested as stated in previous post, 2 diffent parts place 2 different machines,

Looking for the recipt now.... If i can't find it,

i picked it under my budies acount so i will head to his store with himand get it warrentied being he does a good amount of volume througth them i don't see it being and issue

Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM

Yes, the MAF readings are a variable used to determine ignition advance/retard, but it isn't going to randomly shut down a single coil pack. If the readings from the MAF were skewed it would alter timing and fuel distribution, but all coils would continue to produce energy.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
Did pull it had it tested as stated in previous post, 2 diffent parts place 2 different machines,

Looking for the recipt now.... If i can't find it,

i picked it under my budies acount so i will head to his store with himand get it warrentied being he does a good amount of volume througth them i don't see it being and issue
I really do think that replacing the control module will put an end to this headache for you. Most equipment used for testing modules can verify proper operation of the circuits, but can't replicate the underhood engine temps that the module is exposed to. A lot of times a module will test okay out of car, but once it is exposed to heat it will malfunction.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member

I really do think that replacing the control module will put an end to this headache for you. Most equipment used for testing modules can verify proper operation of the circuits, but can't replicate the underhood engine temps that the module is exposed to. A lot of times a module will test okay out of car, but once it is exposed to heat it will malfunction.
So i have read, i actually had it on a heating pad befor i went(use it at these temps to keep tools warm!) and stuck it ontop of the engine on the intrigue for the trip to the parts stores lol

Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just hope you get it straightened out.

Like chibi mentioned before...when I was haveing that same issue...
and the MAF was the answer....Even though a MAF isnt cheap...

Since you said you had them both tested and they both failed...
Thats just what ive experienced with mine ... Good Luck!

Now im extremely curious as to what the actual fix will end up being...

Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member

Wel
Originally Posted by STUMPMI
I just hope you get it straightened out.

Like chibi mentioned before...when I was haveing that same issue...
and the MAF was the answer....Even though a MAF isnt cheap...

Since you said you had them both tested and they both failed...
Thats just what ive experienced with mine ... Good Luck!

Now im extremely curious as to what the actual fix will end up being...
Well to get it running on all 6 i am getting the the ICM warrantied obviously it's junk 2 machines and 2 different stores failed at both, that is one starting point to atleast have it running on all 6 instead of 4,

talked to my budy i will probably go get that tomarow then i can investige maf if i continue to have issues with anything

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member

Got it warrenteed earlier! =) so a little late night wrenching here i come, i have not driven my car in 4 days and i miss it, and last time i drove it it was running on 4cyl so stupid underpowered and obviously not right!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hope that takes care of the problem.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): icm failure.....