Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

How do I do those dam rockers and pushrods for the LIM gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Default How do I do those dam rockers and pushrods for the LIM gaskets?

So Im having a water leak issue on my daughters 99Monte, like I said in the other thread. I got the upper and lower taken off, now what the hell do I do with the pushrods? I know the old school way is to loosen the rockers and pull the pushrods out then adjust them later, but Ive heard that I dont have to and havent figured it out yet. Im doing the belt (rotten), the plugs, the LIM gasket, the water pump, thermostat and housing gasket (leaking) while Im there so.
I also found stuff like this in there, mouse bedding and chewed injector wires!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

To change LIM gaskets on the 3100/3400 engines, you MUST removed the rockers and push rods. Just remove the nut/bolt holding the rocker and you can take the rocker and push rod right out. I always put them in marked baggies to place the push rods and rockers in the SAME spot they came from. I did this because the push rods were different lengths and this insured no issues during re-assembly.
When re-installing, you just place them back where they came from (again, marked baggies are handy). All you need to do is look up the torque spec for the rockers and tighten them to that torque spec.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 AM

yes deff put them back in same place same direction... as the parts wear together.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 AM

I've read there's a tool that you can get that will depress the rocker enough to pull the push rod out, but when I do my intakes (and may do some of the other stuff you're doing) I'm just gonna take them out like previously mentioned.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 AM

your thinking of a spring compressor and I don think it would matter that much to be able to get them in and out with it

Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

go through this and you'll have all you need, the gasket goes around the rods so they need to be removed.

D-tips

Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM

thanks again guys

Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 AM

finished it guys, thanks for the help
at least I hope I did, no leaks........yet

Old 10-26-2011, 01:04 PM

On my 97 monte carlo I backed off my rockers to install the intake gasket and then torque mine to 89 inch lbs and 30 degree turn. Runs great.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
To change LIM gaskets on the 3100/3400 engines, you MUST removed the rockers and push rods. Just remove the nut/bolt holding the rocker and you can take the rocker and push rod right out. I always put them in marked baggies to place the push rods and rockers in the SAME spot they came from. I did this because the push rods were different lengths and this insured no issues during re-assembly.
When re-installing, you just place them back where they came from (again, marked baggies are handy). All you need to do is look up the torque spec for the rockers and tighten them to that torque spec.
Don't you also have to put some lube on them as well? I was looking through my manual and noticed it mentioned putting lube on them when reinstalling.

Quick Reply: How do I do those dam rockers and pushrods for the LIM gaskets?