Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Horsepower Estimates

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:01 AM

the 4.6 in the gt is a 2 valve motor,sohc. the powerband in the gt is terrible and they have to be geared aggressivly to really go.the 4.6 in the newer gt 05 and up is a 3 valve motor. the 4.6 in the mach 1 is a 4.6 dohc 4 valve motor and you can get them with an auto. its essentially the cobra motor without the blower,different cams and not hand built and they only come in a stick.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe the cobra is actually a 5.2 with a supercharger. The mach 1 also had a CAI through the hood from the factory which helped make more power.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/0..._mach_20-1.jpg
http://www.shnack.com/photopost/data/549/03mach1_6.jpg
Shaker hoods are awesome.

I hate mustangs, I feel the interior is bland, they really dont have that many features, and they are EVERYWHERE. But for some reason I love my dads, I think its the sound, or how fun it is to drive. Something just makes it stand out.

I think for now Im going to start with the M90 and maybe later on down the road, when im looking for more power and dumping a ton more money into the car ill do a turbo.
Just as a reference, whats the smallest pulley that can be run on an M90?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM

LOL! This is funny, we find ourselves discussing Mustangs on a Monte Carlo forum. But I have to agree that the interior to Mustangs is rather boring, from 2005 to 2010 the interior, which is supposed to be reminiscent of a 60's or 70's Stang is rather boring, squared, and unattractive, where the new interior of the Camaro and Challenger are very well done, especially the Camaro. xD Chevy FTW! And it's true, Mustangs are way too commonplace, you see way too many around.That's what's nice about Monte Carlos, they're a pretty car, but there aren't that many of them on the road, nowhere near as many Mustangs as there are.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gib DTD
Hows this, with the setup I mentioned above, and a 3.0 pulley, would I be able to beat my dads '03 Mustang Mach 1. Hes got like 305 HP from the factory and a Borla cat back so at most 320 HP. I just want to brag that I have a quicker car, and its only a V6.
Ported heads, mild cam, ported blower, headers, an IC and a 3.0 pulley would walk all over a 300 hp mustang.

When I had my gtp with a PLOG, 3.4", 1.9 modded stock rockers, 180 tstat, autolite 104s, a 3" catless DP, resonator delete, and HAI- I could easily beat the early 2000s 260 HP Mustang GT's stock or stock w/ exhaust/intake (I'm not saying put bus lengths on them, but I'd always beat them by some margin)- and typically the L67's do about 300 crank hp with those mods. The new 05+ 300ish hp GT's would walk me a bit (assuming its just due to the weight difference).

You'll have a ton more mods, plus you have better gearing with the 3.29s- there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do 350 crank hp- and easily beat the 300 hp mustang.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:46 PM

I agree with bumpin. it wont take a world of power to beat the mach 1. assuming that he doesnt do anything to it. and just for knowledge. the 03-04 cobra is a 4.6 4v with a blower. its hand built. the earlier years didnt have the blower just the 4v motor. the cobra R years back had the 5.4 but theyre rare. i was actually looking at getting a mach 1 before i bought the monte but the price kept me away.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Just drop in the LS4 with the 4T65 HD tranny and do a couple of mods rockers, intake and the TB ported with the HP tune, CAI, and Exhaust and your at 400 HP at the crank and I tell you hold on to your hat!! or spend the money for the Turbo and your at 500 at the crank but the tranny will need to be beefed up our its not long for this world.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think he wants lowly crank HP lol

that can be had with the supercharger.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM

At this point in time my tranny is acting a bit funny, when shifting from first to second it takes longer than usual and the motor revs up another 500 rpms. When second finally kicks in its a hard shift. Because of this im debating whether I should just pull the motor and tranny and do a full build up on both. It would be smarter, but more expensive....

Opinions?

Ive already looked into this idea a while back and decided against it but am rethinking it now.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:40 PM

did you pull any codes from the trans?

Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Because of this im debating whether I should just pull the motor and tranny and do a full build up on both. It would be smarter, but more expensive....

Opinions?
If you're planning on 400hp anyways, you're gonna need a fully built trans as it is- so you may as well just go ahead and do both at the same time.

Just drop in the LS4 with the 4T65 HD tranny and do a couple of mods rockers, intake and the TB ported with the HP tune, CAI, and Exhaust and your at 400 HP at the crank and I tell you hold on to your hat!! or spend the money for the Turbo and your at 500 at the crank but the tranny will need to be beefed up our its not long for this world.
IMO it would be far cheaper and easier to make that much horsepower with his current engine. For the price of an LS4- he could do a top swap and at least heads/cam, maybe even IC- or he could do a really nice turbo kit. Not to mention, you wouldn't have to mess with doing all the swap work.

Quick Reply: Horsepower Estimates