Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

HELP!!!! Intermittent Tapping sound in engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Exclamation HELP!!!! Intermittent Tapping sound in engine

Hey folks lets see if anyone can help me, I have an 04 supercharged Dale Jr Sig Series Monte, The other day when we started it it upafter an hour of sitting in a parking lot it had a tapping sound coming form the top of the engine, but when we gave it a little throttle it stopped.
Today (about a week later) it has done the same thing after sitting all weekend, but this time I took it on the road and openned it up and got it to stop that way.
I have been checking the oil dipstick and it looked alright to me but I was reading the stick wrong, turnes out it was a guart low on oil, could that have been the problem?
I think it may be a stuck lifter, but what do I know, is there any kind of oil/fuel treatment I can use to alleviate this situation?, today I am going to do another complete oil change and find something to put in it that will help it. Please any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 AM

Welcome to our Monte Carlo Forum

How many miles are on your Monte Carlo ?
Are you the first owner ?
How has you Monte been maintained ?

The above will help our expert tech member's assist.
Check back on your post question for our
member's to post their opinions/solutions.

Oh, we would love 2 see pictures of your Monte.
What State are you fun?
EnJoy the Forum

Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Exclamation

I am the original owner and it has had regular maintenence although it was du an oil change for 3ooo miles now and it was low by a quart. I went to the auto parts stor and got Lucas engine treatment and fuel treatment at the same time and as soon as the car cools down enough for me to work on it i am going to go and change the oil on it and put that engine treatment in it.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you put the new oil in, did the ticking stop?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
When you put the new oil in, did the ticking stop?
when I put the quart in that it was low on it stopped, I let it sit for an hour and it did it right when I started it and right when I put the slightest throtte to it it went away.
right now I just got the new oil and filter in along with the Lucas motor treatment and am waiting fo another half of an hour because I have the battery disconnected and am in the middle of a computer reset waiting period, with the battery disconected and the ignition on I am doing a reset. I was told by several folks that have newer chevies to do that, it resets the computer.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 AM

15 Year Member

I don't think you need the ignition on, just disconnecting the battery will reset codes. But if you don't have codes to begin with you don't really need to disconnect.

Each time you start the car the car will do a diagnostic check, so if there's a problem the car will find it on start-up.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Talking

Well after about a two hour sit and having the oil change along with the Lucas oil treatment I started it up and didn't have the tapping wound anymore although time will tell with this problem, gonna have to watch it for at the next week after it sits for a while is when it happened before so we will see. The engine seems to sound s bit quieter though, I have noticed that as well. When I stopped at my local mechanic (whom has never done me wrong at all) and explained my situation he told me that just by listening to my story he is pp percent sure that just an oil change will fix the situation and to be safe and go ahead and put the Lucas treatment in as a safe guard.
He basically told me that since the oil was low and when I shut off the engine all the oil goes to the bottom of the engine and when it restarts and has low oil then it takes it a little longer for the oil to get redistributed around the engine, that with the combination of dirty oil is most likely that cause of the tapping and that after I change the oil then I should not have anything to worry about.
HELP!!!! Intermittent Tapping sound in engine-041.jpg

Last edited by Xx-007-xX; 09-08-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM

...Great to read that it's not ticking, and hopefully the low oil was the reason...Keep us updated, and we wish you safe/fun trouble free miles in your awesome Monte Carlo.
Now, you need to share/post some pictures with your Monte Carlo Family...Good Luck 4 Sure : )

^^^^^^^Thanks, our MCF Administrator has a Jr Edition, & a few of
our SuperMember's... You guys are
the fortunate ones to have one 4-Sure : )

Last edited by Space; 09-08-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 PM

15 Year Member

I would try to make it a habit to check your dipstick about every week (maybe every other week) Where did that oil go?

Hopefully it's nothing serious, but it's good to see if you are constantly eating oil.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 AM

I would check it every time you fill up. My dale jr doesn't loose a drop between oil changes, but I like to check it often. My bosses grand prix's lifters will start to tick if he goes to long between oil changes. After he changes it the tick goes away for several thousand miles

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Intermittent Tapping sound in engine