Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Help with a 350 build, 10k budget

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Default Help with a 350 build, 10k budget

Hello, first off I am a huge Ford guy I have a mustang stroker and a bone stock camaro that I just dd(2.8 v6)

Now, I am in the military and we like to blow all our money on cars, my friend has a 2000 monte carlo and I told him I dont know about them but I will find out, I know I dont want to build up the 3800 or 3600 thats in it. I will list the items I would like some references in.

1. Engine:
I want to get him a 350 block and stroke it slightly bigger

What good companies make chevy stroker kits and whats the limit of a late model 350 block?

2. H/C/I
I want some great flowing heads for an n/a build. What are some good 200cc+ heads for chevy?

What intakes flow best for stroked 350s?

Will probably go custom cam, are there any good custom chevy cam guys on here?

3. Transmission

What trannys can hold 5-600 rwhp?

4. Suspension

Best suspension for the Monte Carlo that can put this new power the the ground?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You want him to put a 350 in his 2000 Monte Carlo?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You want him to put a 350 in his 2000 Monte Carlo?
It will definitely fit, he doesnt want to get rid of it it was his first car. He wants to build it so I said Id help. Why not right?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

fwd... you can go ls4 tho!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
fwd... you can go ls4 tho!
Ah damn I completely forgot about that... So the most common ls4 block is the 05-08 grand prix?

EDIT are there any ls4 crate engine builders with a website?

Last edited by MustangGTpower; 06-28-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MustangGTpower
Ah damn I completely forgot about that... So the most common ls4 block is the 05-08 grand prix?
stole that from wiki ls4 page

Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
stole that from wiki ls4 page
Right, is there any engine builders or websites that have crate motors for sale though?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 3800 motor can be built up like crazy.

ZZPerformance can run under a 9second 1/4 mile on a turbo 3800. Don't discount this engine

Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
The 3800 motor can be built up like crazy.

ZZPerformance can run under a 9second 1/4 mile on a turbo 3800. Don't discount this engine

Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM

I know I dont want to build up the 3800 or 3600 thats in it.
Why? As said above- its cheap to mod, and can make gobs of power on a stock bottom end. There have been plenty of 3800's over 500 whp, and as said above- down in the mid 8's in the 1/4 (obviously in a stripped race only car).

Your 10k budget would be enough to get you a good IC'd turbo kit, a built trans, and some slicks for the strip. Keeping the original engine would save you all the cost of having to buy a new one- so you can put more money into performance.

1. Engine:
I want to get him a 350 block and stroke it slightly bigger

What good companies make chevy stroker kits and whats the limit of a late model 350 block?
If you're talking about the old 350 SBC's (ie pre LSx)- that's a waste of time. It won't bolt to the trans, and you'll spend a huge chunk of your budget just getting the thing to work in the car.

If you're talking about the new SBC's- ie LSx engines- then you don't really have any options- the LS4 is it. It's the only engine the will practically drop in to his car. Anything else won't bolt to the trans, and may have clearance issues. However, its 325ci- not 350. Sure you could stroke it- but you're talking massive money for virtually no power gains. Talk all that money for a good stroker kit, and full bottom end rebuild on the LS4- and drop that money on the turbo kit. The bolt on turbo kit will do ~500whp with no other major mods. Only downside to this is the cost- You're talking almost $6k for the turbo, $4-5k for the trans, and you still need to buy the LS4/4t65HD and some wheels/tires to hook.

2. H/C/I
I want some great flowing heads for an n/a build. What are some good 200cc+ heads for chevy?

What intakes flow best for stroked 350s?

Will probably go custom cam, are there any good custom chevy cam guys on here?
If you go the LS4 route, there is no reason to change the heads. The stock ones are already better by far than the rest of the intake system and are not the problem area. I know one guy that did ported heads, and made very little extra power for the massive investment of money.

The intake manifold on the LS4 is what sucks the worst. As far as I know, you can't do the nice LSx intake like the FAST. However, the LS2 and LS6 intake manifolds do work, but need a lot of modding to fit (again since the LS4 is different from the other LS engines).

As for a cam- not a whole lot of people have that engine, and even fewer have cammed them- its a tiny market. You could look into the 5.3L truck guys and see what cam's are working for them since the displacement is the same.

3. Transmission

What trannys can hold 5-600 rwhp?
lol... I'm assuming you're talking about keeping it FWD since $10k isn't going to get you a full RWD conversion with a new built engine and trans. There aren't many options for FWD. The 4t65 can be built to take that power (heck the ecotec drag cars were running over 1k hp with them)- but IMO not reliably- especially not long term. A lot of people demod due to transmission problems- and when you're talking $1000-1500 just for the drive chain set alone, the parts add up quick. I guess the other option would be the 4t80- but I'm not sure what kind of power those can take- and I bet it won't fit without serious customization, otherwise the LS4 cars would've got the 4t80 instead (like the northstar bonneville GXP's).

4. Suspension

Best suspension for the Monte Carlo that can put this new power the the ground?
There isn't much by way of suspension. Being heavy, FWD cars- there isn't much aftermarket out there for suspension since not many really autoX or road race them. Your options are either lowering springs or coilovers, or stock. To put the power down- most people at the track do the cable mod to the rear suspension to keep it from compressing at all, and to keep from putting the power down.

However, the major issue is always going to be lack of tire. You can only go so wide since you need to turn still- so you're limited on width. Best bet is some full slicks for the track. Only problem is- if you get a setup that hooks hard with that kind of power, then you can also look forward to breaking parts (especially if you don't totally gut the car to get the weight down).

Right, is there any engine builders or websites that have crate motors for sale though?
Why would you want a new crate engine? That's going to eat up a massive chunk of your budget (especially since you're still going to need a trans, and the parts to put the engine in- ie wiring harness, pcm, etc). If you must go that route- you're better off finding a totalled GXP or other LS4 car, and buy the whole powertrain/wiring in one shot. The one upside is- the engines aren't super popular since none of the LSx engine swap people can use them since they're set up for a FWD bellhousing.

Quick Reply: Help with a 350 build, 10k budget