Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

goodbye pt61 turbo.......

Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default goodbye pt61 turbo.......

so i took turbo monte for a drive today and made a pull, hit full boost was pulling crazy hard, left out of the throttle and blew a huge puff of blue smoke out the exhaust..... i babies it back home (i was close like 5 mins away) and by the time i got home wshe was dumping blue smoke pretty bad.... got her into the garage and strated investigating..... i am almost certain i blew a seal in the turbo, i have oil in the charge pipes and you can see where a little bit of oil was blowing out the BOV.... when i did my trans rebuild i had the air filter off and noticed a little bit of oil paying in the turbo housing but ignored it. when i seen that i kinda wondered if the turbo was going or not and well it has..... so what this means is time to upgrade to either a ct4 6765 billett wheel comp turbo, turbonetics t66 cast, or a turbonetics t64 billet

the comp turbo i havnt seen proven on the 3800 engine, the t66 i seen make 670whp on a built 3800 engine, the t64 billet i seen make 600whp on a stock engine.

zippy (greg) im coming for you!!!!!!

Last edited by turbo monte; 07-24-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Time for MORE POWER . When I was a kid my parents had a 79 buick century turbo coupe. We were on our way home from a weekend trip when the turbo blew. We looked like the mosquito control with a trail of fog following us. Good Luck with your rebuild

Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member

lol thats what i looked like as well it was horrible...... thanks i hope it goes well and i finally hit my 550-600whp mark

Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 AM

Hi `John,
Sorry to read about your prob > I hope it's just a seal Please keep us updated `OK > Good Luck 4-Sure

Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well well well your P61 finally pushed it's last miles on you remarkable Turbo Monte Carlo. Stepping up to the 67 should give you a fair amount more power. Will be interesting to see where you end up on the power spectrum with the upgraded trubo which ever one you end up selecting. I can't wrap my head around how two different builders end up with a disparity in final power output, with the basic 3800 platform. Like you mentioned it might be the tune or what? My previous Precision turbo at 67 something got me no where near 600 on pump gas. With the new Borg-Warner I'm now hitting 499whp on 91 octane, but that has taken alot of effort to get there, believe the new manifolds helped out quite a bit. Will be very interesting to see where you end up John, have always been impressed with the Cartuning set up you run.
Oh and as far as coming for me, you just know you and I will need to get this settled at the track. It will be an epic time, we could meet at some car show event halfway between Utah and your home in Penn. sometime. Maybe Missouri. When you pack your lunch, make me a steak sandwich cause I get to eat it. LOL, best of luck my friend, can't wait to see your new mods shakedown cruise video.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

seeing you two on the strip would probably be the craziest thing in the world. I wouldn't know who to root for!!!!

Sucks to hear the turbo broke, but thats just an excuse to go bigger & better!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM
10 Year Member

Greg, I really think its in the tune. You can have the best parts in the world but if you don't have a good tune it will still be very slow... it would be awesome to meet up and make a few passes!! Idk if you would want the steak sandwich though because you will be to full eating my exhaust!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 AM

You should take your monte out for a short drive just like it is, then send a bill and a video to your local city/town for fogging for mosquitos. That would help fund your new turbo setup

Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member

Lmao! To late I already pulled the turbo and down pipe off. I went with a turbonetics t66 with a 3" down pipe instead of the existing 2.5" down pipe!!! The new turbo and new down pipe was purchased yesterday and now the wait starts till they arrive...

I am also going to do a cylinder leak down test to be sure its not the engine before I bolt on the new turbo and it still burn oil do to either rings or valve seals.... I will keep you all posted!!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Good Luck `John & we will be looking for your update...I hope that you block is still in great shape

Do you still have your Hot Rod Turbo Focus ? If so, let us know & how it is ?

Wish you & member's a Super Day/Life > EnJoy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: goodbye pt61 turbo.......