Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

getting a trunk buddy

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 PM

its fwd first off, well idk think any engines are front or rear, its the way there positioned in the bay. anyways ive been looking into engine swaps, and it can get pretty expensive, unless you know somebody that will help you with the work.

check morads or your local junkyards for the engines, there usually about 800-1400. about 17-2000 for both. plus the new mounts, bottles, wiring harnesses, little extras that can add up.

thats just for a stocker, then im sure you'll want to mod the crap out of it.

the cheapest route is to find a totaled car that came stock with it, then you should have all the extras included. pull everything and pay the bill.

GL

ya i dont think im going to swap for a while, maybe when i get her paid off in a year or so. then ill take a loan, if i can get one for that. try to do most of the work by myself{i luckily have friends that gearheads}. then pay a mechanic for those final tweeks.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM

i have a great question. basicly since its all the same amount of money, which route is the best.

3800 s/c
noethstar maybe
or something different suggestions please????

i know theres more fun/aftermarket and potential for the l67, but the ls4 would be funner from the start.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

well i got a junk yard down the road here that really helps me out when i need it, so im sure theyd do the work if i bought the motor and trans from them. are you saying about 2000 for a new one or is that an approximate from a junk yard?? im kinda getting interested in this now. i never knew i could do a l67 swap on my car. i thought you could only do that on a 5th gen that had a 3.4.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 AM

i have a great question. basicly since its all the same amount of money, which route is the best.

3800 s/c
noethstar maybe
or something different suggestions please????

i know theres more fun/aftermarket and potential for the l67, but the ls4 would be funner from the start.
Those engines definitely aren't the 'same cost'- the L67 is probably 1/2 the price of those other engines- the LS4's have only been in production a few years and only in a few select models- so there aren't many out there.

There are more northstars- but that's not a straight plug and play swap- so that's way worse, plus not much aftermarket.

An LS4 might be more power to start- but an L67 can catch it with basic bolt ons- I mean easy stuff, and is easier to keep doing bolt ons to.

well i got a junk yard down the road here that really helps me out when i need it, so im sure theyd do the work if i bought the motor and trans from them. are you saying about 2000 for a new one or is that an approximate from a junk yard?? im kinda getting interested in this now. i never knew i could do a l67 swap on my car. i thought you could only do that on a 5th gen that had a 3.4.
You definitely can do an L67 swap. Although IMO- if you can't do all the labor yourself, I'd forget it. You instantly turn a $1500-2000 job into a $3000+ job when you factor in labor- plus most places don't want to get involved because its custom work.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 AM

`Chad, as always....good advise
Thanks again for sharing your experience/wisdom.
I live & learn 4-Sure

`Mike,
Here's something for your Trunk
Oh, get some `Candy

"I'm a better Trunk `Buddy"

Hey `Mike, Here's a Spare

Last edited by Space; 04-24-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member

yeah, like i said though, if you get the stuff from the junkyard i know, theyll ususally just do the labor for free.
but how hard is it to do. ive never pulled an engine or nothing and really dont know how, so how hard would it be for me to learn?? i catch on to these kind of things really quick.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 AM

I'm actually looking into doing a swap on my 3800 N/A, Luckily 2 of my best friends are certified mechanics, although one does jeep/chrysler and the other ford, im sure between the 3 of us we can figure ity\ out

Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member

well oooo la la
jk

Old 04-24-2010, 10:09 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

pulling a motor isnt real hard just mark everything as u undo it, the only problem is the new wiring harness that ull have to put in, im sure its not that hard with putting a motor that came in the same car but the SR20 in the 240sx sucked lol, imo anyone can do it, me and a buddy are doing are 3rd vehicle now, usualy can do it in 2 weekends, first weekend to pull the motor & second to drop the new in, best thing to do is if ur unsure about what u can do pull yours put the new in get it bolted up & plugged in than have a mechanic look it over less labor cost that way

Old 04-24-2010, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member

okay, but what do i do about the trans?/ should i get a HD of stay with my old one? im planning ( if i do the swap) on getting the L67. is there gonna be any disassembling of the trans, or can i leave the trans attatched to the motor??

Quick Reply: getting a trunk buddy