Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

getting a trunk buddy

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default getting a trunk buddy

anybody know of the best nitrous? im wanting a smaller shot with a bigger bottle. right now im looking into a NOS system with a 35-150 shot or a NE with a 40-75 shot. im gonna be useing a minimal gain shot so what is the best route to go?? money really dont matter if its within reason. what kind of kit do i need? what kind of mods are needed? i have a tuned PCM, will that affect anything? i really need a detailed explaination if at all possible. and also, im not dead set on the two i mentioned, any others that you know of would be great. thanks in advace.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

Idk much about nitrous but I run CRY02 kit in mine and love it, the only thing I can recomend for the montes is most likely use a dry shot of nitrous instead of wet.... less pressure just in case so nothing happens to your engine.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:42 AM

you should retune it and take some timing out of it if your going to run N2O. heres another option.
http://www.zex.com/Pages/129/Wet%204...0Cylinder.aspx

personally i dont think its worth it if your only goin to give it 35-50hp but thats just my opinion.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 04-23-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Which is what sucks about nitrous, because you don't drive around spraying all the time, so if you aren't spraying you lose timing and responsiveness for normal driving.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 PM

thats why im a firm believer that if you build a car to run nitrous it should be capable of holding its own with out it. the nitrous should only be needed for the track or for a serious street car, and if you need it on the street there better be money involved. this is just my thinking. i wouldnt go throwing it on my straight up street car just to compete with 15 second cars. not worth the expense. plus i think it would be kinda embarrassing to purge and then stage up at a light against a dd commuter car and lose.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member

do you still need the ignition retard with a dry kit??

Old 04-23-2010, 05:13 PM

yeah your going to have to pull timing out regardless. heres a bunch of FAQ.
http://www.zex.com/Products/FAQ.asp

you dont think you would be better off finding a wrecked 3800 sc car and swap motors? i mean price wise what can the price difference really be. after you buy a N2O kit and if you get silly and get a remote opener, purge kit, retune and fill a few times your already at the price of a sc motor? not really trying to talk you out of it just giving you a different perspective. if you were running a high compression small block that was cammed and had gearing and what not id be all for it or even a na 3.8 with a bunch of work to it. i just think you might be happier with a larger motor producing more power then you would be throwing stuff at the 3400.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 04-23-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:07 PM

I'd also at least consider having the timing put back to stock. With a stock pcm, and a small shot, I wouldn't have worried about it at all- but with the aftermarket pcm- they probably bumped it up.

I also agree with the others- nitrous on a street car sucks. You still have a car that is slow 99.9% of the time, except when you go to the strip- or street racing; and even then- filling a bottle all the time gets old (and really drives up the cost over time).

For the gains of the really small shots- I'd rather pay 2-3x the price of the nitrous kit to do the mods to get the engine to make that power all the time- and just figure that in the end, you'll wash out on price because of not having to fill the tank- and you'll be happier each day driving it.

One other thing- I've rode along in cars with small shots- like 35 and 45 shots, and its honestly kinda boring- its not really so much like 'fast and the furious', it just accelerates a little bit faster.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member

LOL well scratch that idea. how much is a l67 swap for my car?? what are some other ideas?? i got some money (rather not say exactly how much) but give me some ideas if you could. if i do the l67 swap, would i have to swap the trans with it?? i know the 3800's run on the HD. what would be my best bet for the swap? junkyard(thats not something i can do myself. isnt the l67 a rear wheel drive?? if you could help me out as much as you can with an explaination that would be greatly appriciated. thanks all.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member

thanks for the FAQ's, and LOL you did talk me out of it.

Quick Reply: getting a trunk buddy