Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Getting stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When i have some spare time i'll have to do that. Is it just the plastic surround the shift **** that has to come out?

Checked the fluid today, the level is ok but the color isn't. Its a light brown color , probally do a drop pan flush as everyone seems to not reccomend a full flush. Should i bother changing anythign else in the process?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Filter wouldnt' be a bad thing to change.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

All you need to remove is the shift handle and the cover that surrounds the gear shift and has the cig lighter in it. Then unplug the solenoid. Easy as that. Took me ten minutes.

But the fluid is a cause for concern, maybe it just hasn't been changed in a while... Drop the pan, replace the filter, make sure there are no metal shavings in the pan.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

I'm hoping it just hasn't been changed in a while either. I'd hate this to be the beggining of the end. The solenoid i'll have to get too soon when i have some time ditto to the fluid.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member

How is the cover around around the shifter held in? Can i just use a screwdriver and pry it off or is it held in another way

Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

I just used a flathead screwdriver, popped up the part closest to the cupholder, then just pulled the rest of it free - I think there are some clips in there, so be careful not to break them. And make sure your shifter handle is off!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks, soon as i get some free time i gotta unplug it. When it gets stuck and you have 2 girls in the car it doesn't go over well

Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Thanks, soon as i get some free time i gotta unplug it. When it gets stuck and you have 2 girls in the car it doesn't go over well

did they give you the big L on the forehead sign.................. sorry man I've had it displayed to me before.....

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member

nope lol, cause i got it out of park and then told them about the problem.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM

Anyone have a picture of this?

I had this issue with the wires unraveling/coming out of the plug because I guess over time they got pulled?

Took it to a mechanic because I was pressed for time (and since we just moved, I didn't have any space in the city to work on the car), that was a bad idea because all he did was electrical tape (wtf?) some of the wires and waste my time/money.

Now that I have a driveway all to myself and plenty of time to tinker with the car uninterrupted, I attempted this.

So far it's been removing the cupholder piece and pressing the shift release button to get the car out of park, but that's getting old.

So yesterday before the snow hit I took off the shift **** (mine doesn't have a clip to release, there's a screw midway down) and the top console cover (with the cig lighter connected)

Then there were two screws underneath there that I was able to remove, but after that, couldn't get anything to budge, and with light fading couldn't figure out where the solenoid I need to unplug is. Anyone with a helpful pic or something would be appreciated like you wouldn't believe!

Or I could do it all again and link a photo, if that helps.

I hate taking it to the mechanics (until I find a reliable one) because they always seem to think just because I'm not a dude I don't know wtf I'm talking about. A few months back the key was stuck in ignition because the car wouldn't come out of park (had to use the same release) and despite me clearly and concisely explaining the issue (and probably cause) I got a bunch of blank stares and 'oh you're clearly just not doing it right' and also 'did you try pulling the key out harder?'

I do have to say, I do miss when I had a Monte that wasn't so full of electrical junk and was actually made out of metal. She was a tank, a full on beast, but I sure did love her.

Quick Reply: Getting stuck in park