Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

fuel injector upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:20 AM
1 Year Member
Default fuel injector upgrade?

back again, but before I ask a bunch of questions again, I would just like to thank everyone on her for all their help and tips and advice! when ever I cant figure out something on my own I post on here and less than 2 hours later I will have a couple responses and they are all heavily detailed.

Ive been saving some money for the "project monte fund" and I was planning on getting some wheels, well my 400 turned into 600$ and in a week it will be about 800$. so ive been thinking my car looks good on my stock wheels so why don't I upgrade my engine a bit. im looking to add the most power while spending the least money, I guess that's everyone goal. I was thinking about upgrading my fuel injectors to some 42# injectors, but after looking at zzp and their prices, for 5$ more I can get some 60# injectors. I currently have a magnalow dp and cat and full 2.5 exhaust, and a short ram intake. so what should I upgrade to get me some more power? I also plan on getting a zzp tune when im done so that alone will open up some power. not sure what to do next some one help. I plan on eventually doing a turbo build, so im looking to upgrade everything before I get the tubro.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:10 AM

well just because you get bigger fuel injectors don't mean you get more hp. all it means is you will just dump more fuel into your engine for no reason. you would still have to re program your ecu to ajust for the added fuel really.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Upgraded fuel injectors are useless unless you have more air flow (boost) there is a suck thing as to big of am injector. If injector is too big and needs scaled back too much the injector goes static and does not fuel consistant. Only get injectors once your turboed

Old 06-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Best bang for the bucks would be

Er ratio rockers

HV3 insert

PCM tuned

You already have the downpipe and cat so that is a plus as well as your CAI intake.

This is about as far as I would take it as you are planning to eventually get the turbo, which in all reality will be your best performance addition

Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bigger fuel injectors don't increase performance, they simply give you the fuel that's needed. If you convert to e85, then sure, upgrade your injectors. But if you're only an NA 3800 you will never need the injectors until you go with boost or nitrous. Not only that, but you can find 42# injectors much cheaper on clubgp, grandprixforums.net, or here on MCF in the classifieds. I bought 8 42# injectors on clubgp back in the day for $115.

There's a good thread on MCF in the engine forum that gives a good outline on what to do to our engines and when. Before you spend money do some home work and shop around. ZZP is a great company, but you can find parts all over the internet.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

X3. Skip the injectors until they are needed. It's an easy job.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:26 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ohara
Best bang for the bucks would be

Er ratio rockers

HV3 insert

PCM tuned

You already have the downpipe and cat so that is a plus as well as your CAI intake.

This is about as far as I would take it as you are planning to eventually get the turbo, which in all reality will be your best performance addition
does anyone make aftermarket rocker arms, that CAN be used with an aftermarket cam. i plan to cam my car in the near future before the turbo install

Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can get them, but you need either 1.6 or 1.7 rockers depending which cam you go with IIRC.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm running a stage 5 turbo cam with 1.6 yella terra roller rockers. (Yella terra discontinued the 1.6 ratio) could get Harland sharps though.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:53 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
I'm running a stage 5 turbo cam with 1.6 yella terra roller rockers. (Yella terra discontinued the 1.6 ratio) could get Harland sharps though.
arent 1.6 ratio the same as stock? what performance gains do you get from the yella terra 1.7?

Quick Reply: fuel injector upgrade?