Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

flushing the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Default flushing the radiator

i have a 2000 monte Ls with the v6. It's about that time to flush out my radiator. I was told that once i drain out the fluid, i could literally stick a garden hose in and flush the whole thing out with water. Is this safe to do to the radiator? Is there any other method that would be better or cheaper? And also how difficult is it to get under the car and open the drain up on this model? Thanks guys.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A lot of people use distilled water that you can buy in grocery stores instead.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:46 PM

thanks bro. didn't think about distilled water, i imagine that might be a little safer too. anyway i'll give it a shot. take it easy

Old 03-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its not hard to flush the stytem...and you CAN use a garden house. BUT, I always buy a few gallons of distilled water, and fill the radiator, run the car, drain, fill again, repeat that over and over with plain distilled water a few times. Then Fill the radiator with coolant.

Using tap water can leave mineral deposits in your cooling system. Distilled water is PURE water!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 AM

I hope this doesnt sound repetitous but will this work for any vehicle. I have a 2001 Buick Regal LS 3800 and an 02 Dodge Caravan 3.3L.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah this is just general knowledge, although drain ports and such might be in different locations.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Hey guys, where is the drain port located on a 2000 Monte Ls? Also if I'm looking to flush it would it be fairly easy to put the front end of the car on Jack stands or would I even need those at all? Thanks guys

Old 03-20-2010, 04:23 PM

what i always do is start the flush with the garden hose to try to get all the old stuff out then fill the radiator with distilled start the car and then pop the wing nut on the bottom to drain it shut the car off and fill it with more coolent then water. the radiator takes two and a half water i litterally had to do this in a class. the teacher said how much fluid does the radiatio holds not including what is in the engine and heater core. i fill it that way and start it and top it off with distilled water. wich if a flush is done right four pushing five gallons usually 4.5 gallons total the rest is usually top off if necessary plus if your thirsty you dont have to go inside to get water you have a jug in your hand

Old 03-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

has anyone here ever used one of these kits, I did a long time ago when I had to change out a rad in an old honda civic I had, let me know what you guys think, thanks

http://www.prestone.com/products/pri...ll+Kit&regTM=1

Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 PM

you can also,

Pull the thermostat out (re-attached the thermostat housing to the engine with no thermostat installed) and then disconect the upper radiator hose from the radiator, then drain the radiator and close drain, then fill radiator at the inlet for the upper hose with a garden hose and when full leave the hose in and running and go start the car. The old stuff will come out the upper hose where it is disconnected and you keep putting new clean water (not recommened in areas with hard water - high levels of minerals in the water) make sure to turn on the heater to flush that as well. I would let it run for a while, when bored the put in a new AC Delco thermostat and added anti freeze to get to the proper mixture. I would recommend dumping the Dexcool for traditional green anti freeze, but you do what you think is right, but seriously do some checking on dexcool, Google it or something.

Quick Reply: flushing the radiator