Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

FASTER!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Default FASTER!

I have a 1998 Monte Carlo LS with a 3100 engine. Only puts out 160-190 horse power. I want my car to be faster I know I need to add somethings.. Or do I have to do a engine swap when I get the money to do that with. What would it cost me to put the same engine in the car? But any help would be greatful thanks ahead of time.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Default RE: FASTER!

Hi Anthony,
How many miles are presently on your 98 LS ?
Is it presently stock ?
From my research, I've learned it cost a lot more to change
engines : ( If you go for more power ?, you should also
upgrade your suspension/brakes/cooling syst.,/transmission, etc.
Have you considered selling, or trading your 98 LS for a later
Monte Carlo ? Like a SS or SuperCharged SS.
Then you get a Monte that was already engineered for
the power....
If you want to upgrade your present Monte with a larger engine,
would you do it yourself ?
Do you have a garage ? tools ? Expertise to do it properly ?
Shops can charge a arm & leg to do it for you : (
You can use Google's search to check out 3.8L Engines
for sale, or your local bone/junk yards.
Hope I've given you something to think about.
Let us know what you decide.
Be Patience, and I'm sure one of our member's that have
already done this will post their information on your topic subject.
Good Luck, `Space

Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 AM

i think that i am just going to drive this car for a while and the only thing i am going to do to it is put a new exhaust system on it and tint the windows... it has 114k and keep it clean and then when i feel it's time trade it in.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM

The 3100 engine is made for fuel economy so going performance is kind of hard. You can do exhaust work, make a FWI, or just drop in a KN filter.

If you want to make power, your best investment would be to remove the engine and put an L67 in. (3800 Supercharged)

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 AM

[align=center]Hi Anthony,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Sounds like a wise decision...[/align][align=center]Your LS has low miles for a 98.[/align][align=center]Plus, the LS should be giving you decent MPG.[/align][align=center]Power cost $'s : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I've learned[/align][align=center]if you don't abuse your Monte, it won't abuse you.[/align][align=center]Wish you many more `happy/safe miles.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM

i'm just going to add a flowmaster system, and tint the windows.... and then trade it i nfor a jeep gladiator.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:02 PM

you're right space thanks for tellin me this instead of me spendin all this money to make it faster. it's a luxary car.... so i mind as well enjoy it.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:56 PM

ya i had a 96 monte untill last weekend they run good but deffinately not fast the only way to make one of them fast is to find a wrecked gtp or supercharged monte of a newer year to scavenge a complete engine and computer off of...which is next to impossible i thought about it for a long time cuz they were actually designed to fit 3800 in them like the 98 z34's but in reality it wont be worth it because it would cost more than the car is worth now and give you lots of head aches thats why i went out and bought a supercharged one

Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 PM

swaps aren't that difficult if you have the right parts and the determination to do it. If you're doing it yourself, and have the time, it's a fun project. 98 is a good year, because you already have ODB-2, so there's not much difficulty in getting the wiring done. Major parts: engine, trans, PCM, wiring harness, engine mounts.

Bumpin did a swap with a LS, but it was an even older one.

For the 3100, Milzymotorsports.com has alot of performance parts for the 3100 60* V6 platform. You can get ported upper and lower 3400 intakes, cam, and maybe even heads, and go from 160hp to over 200 crank HP, making you a little faster than a stock 3800. Though that would cost you alot of money, since you're basically ripping your 3100 apart, and dropping in those parts. For the price you'd pay for that, you'd have the parts needed for a L67 swap.

Do you have the time, tools and experienceto swap an engine?

Old 03-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Woah, swap?? Are you serious?? That sounds like a good way to ruin your summer. Look man, it all comes down to this. A v6 is meant for one thing, good gas milage and a cheaper purchase all together. If you want performance or "FASTER" get a V8 like mine. Otherwise don't do like I've done in the past and beat yourself up trying to squeeze water out of a rock. Good luck.

Quick Reply: FASTER!