Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Eratic Stutter at all engine speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Eratic Stutter at all engine speeds

Well, here I am again, with another problem. I Ave a good idea what it is but I would like some other opinions. It all started with the COLD. And at the same time I found the fuel leak. Weather sitting still or moving along. It drops about 150 RPMs for a second. I think I either have a bad, fouled or miss gasped spark plug, or air getting sucked into the fuel system. I have had a smoke test done So I know there are no vacuum leaks. The air intake is good and the IAC is clean and good. I was getting a CEL for a misfire in cylinder 1. But that went away when the MAS was replaced. So did the O2 sensor code. Still haven't completely fixed the fuel leak. The DEEP Cold and Snow in the north east has put all outdoor Auto repairs.
So, I've got regular fuel pressure or weak spark o one cylinder. Is there anything else I should consider? Oil and coolant levels are good and not discolored of foamy. What do you think?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

JC

I'm thinking possibly Iced up or clogged injector/s?
Sounds like its not getting enough fuel to run properly...
Unless.. you have some plugs gas fouled..or closed(to small) gaps on the plugs? Have you put any deicer in the fuel tank? (Dry gas)

You've pretty much covered all the other bases...

Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member

David,
I put 1 bottle of dry gas in about a week ago. I know the cold has caused a lot of condensation lately and I should be have added 2 bottles to 1 tank and then and a bottle every other tank. Maybe I will pick some up tonight.
The plugs were changed in last year. I think I used NGK's. But that doesn't mean that one or two of them could not have lost gap or been fouled. It was running rich before the new MAS.
Just wish this cold spell would end so I can go ahead and do what I need to. As it is, it takes a bout a minute of exposure to freeze the hands. Soon as it warms up a bit, I'm under the Hood AGAIN!
Thanks for the reply, I'll get on it as soon as possible!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM

5 Year Member

JC
One other thought has come to mind...

When you changed out the MAF... Was it new ..and was it an AC Delco?

Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member

It was an AC/Delco remanufatured MAS. But the stutter was happening before the new MAS was installed. I was hoping that the bad MAS was causing it but no such Luck!

It reminds me of when I was working in a shop and had time put a new distributor in, and the timing was just a little off, you would get a Pop every now and again!

Last edited by JC Colon; 01-24-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:52 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
It was an AC/Delco remanufatured MAS. But the stutter was happening before the new MAS was installed. I was hoping that the bad MAS was causing it but no such Luck!
when you unplugged it and drove it... it still shook and shuttered?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member

I haven't done that yet. The new one was installed at Pep Boys. Cause the old one would not let the car run once the engine temp reached 160°. At that temp the engine would shut off and I could not start it again till the temp dropped to about 140°. But you are right. The new MAS could be bad too.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Default Update :

I think I found the cause of my Stutter. I was checking fluid levels and took a good look at my coil. The #1 coil, cylinders 1&4, has a nice Crack in the housing. Chock that one up to Jack Frost. Least it's not as bad as what Jack did to my Firebird 3 days before I was suppose toleave Waukeegan Il. (Right on the West shore of Lake Michigan.)
Fortunately I kept the 2 old coils that were good. So the stutter will be gone this w/e.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think a crack in a coil is going to make the engine die once up to temperature...or a MAF. The temperature sensor is a more likely suspect.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 01-31-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I don't think a crack in a coil is going to make the engine die once up to temperature...or a MAF. The temperature sensor is a more likely suspect.
But I don't have a Temperature issue. I had a Stutter, a missfire on Cylinder #1! The Cold caused the crack sowing moisture to get in and freeze. Causing the stutter. As soon as I Replaced the coil, the stutter went away!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Eratic Stutter at all engine speeds