Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Default engine swap

hey im a newb to the chevy world. i was modding honda and other imports for my friedns since i was 14. now im buyin my first muscle car. im lookin at a1988 monte carlo. non ss auto. my friend at my job at honda has an LT1 for sale wit an auto trans. my first question is would it fit in on stock mount or do i have to do mods and could i hook up a t56 trans from a formula firebird or z28 camaro to this LT1. i kno that its stock in formula ands z28s but will i be able to put the whole set up in an 88 monte. my friends have said yes. my one friends has a 95 formula firbird 6 speed and my other friend has z28 camaro 6 speed and they said yea def. wit sum mod for the clutch pedal and shift colum. my other friend has a 1984 z28 camaro 5 speed and he said most likely yea...if this is tru. i def want to do that. or could i possibly put in an ls2 from a new gto in it.man i love american muscle.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Default RE: engine swap

Can it be done?.....YES!!!!
Is it worthwhile?.....YES.
U will need to fab the motor mounts a little bit, the 6speed behind the LS where an Auto was I don't know. May be as simple as changing the PCM. Check LS1.com for the answer to that. But it will fit and it is worthwhile. It will be a little time consuming with the few mods to do but not real hard if u have modded cars b4. The auto column is fine if u don't mind looking at where the shifter lever was. But will need to splice in a neutral safety switch and backup light switch, no probs there, either. The oil pan would be my major concern because I don't know if the F bodies LSx pan will work correctly or not. Take a look here LS1, then LS6, now LS7 Monte

Old 11-27-2006, 01:13 AM

thanks man. im definatley gonna look into it more. i goin to prob buy the car tom. then the engine maybey like after the holiday season. i would love to do this. thankz again man. ill keep ya posted on the work .

Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 AM

wow whish i had that kinda cash to spend on my car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:00 PM

man that guy who did the ls6 convert is good man. it looks beautiful.i took the car for a test drive today and yea i def gunna buy it. it needs a new distibuter and a new trans but i figured. ill get the lt-1 rebuild it anfd get a t-56 trans. the interior kit is availible for the convert for 500 bucks and everything else i have to find. all and the lt1 and auto trans will cost 800 bucks. the t-56 trans will cost 1500 and the convert kit will cost 500 and everthing else will cost about another 1500 .new mounts are 70 bucks. i cant wait.all in all it will be about 5000 with my own install. now the motor im gettin is used. about 80k on the block. but i want to rebuild it b4 i drop it in. now how should i rebuild it.wat kinfd of pistons.what compression ration should i aim for.what kind of heads intake carbs.everything. i cant go over 450ft of torque or i have to rebuild the trans which wouldnt be a big deal if i do.