Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

5th Gen ('95-'99): Engine Stumbling at Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mwjames
i could maybe make one with my phone but its just between 50-70mph it just wants to stumble like 100-300rpm around 2k rpm's with a little throttle, i have to still do some regular maintenace things such as fuel filter, plugs and wires. I'm just really hoping it's nothing to do with the tranny
I didnt know that you didnt do the plugs and wires... I would definately start there! At idle listen to your exhaust and see if its lumpy or doesnt sound like a steady stream of gases. If its rumbles, surges, or pops I would lean towards the plugs and/or wires... You can tell easily if you have modified your exhaust.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM

my tranny fluids clean, as most of it came out when i did my last driveaxle. it didn't pop in all the way and it all leaked out quickly.

filters probly not the best and i plan on changing that soon.

it sounds clean and running good. I've had this problem with 2 of my previous cars but they weren't in the best condition at all and i never payed no mind to the problem. the previous cars did have maintenace to some standard such as plugs/wires fuel filters and such

i'm really hoping it's just some sensor minorly malfunctioning

Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM

TCC rpm oscillation
googling the problem I found myself back here at our forum were one of our most helpful members chibiblacksheep recommended to another user to check that website, upon following the link i found myself there.

it agrees with my worst fears and i don't feel like replacing or rebuilding my tranny but on the bright side I know of one with 91k on it for $300. . .

Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM

last week i ran a can of sea foam tranny cleaner then had the filter and fluid changed. this week i did plugs and wires. the problem still consists for me

Rellsun have you had any luck on fixing your problem?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM

well i did the fluid and filter and it went away but i blew the motor last night so it doesnt matter now. hopefully my new car shifts fine haha

Old 03-07-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rellsun
well i did the fluid and filter and it went away but i blew the motor last night so it doesnt matter now. hopefully my new car shifts fine haha
Blew your motor! How did that happen?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 PM

i think the oil pump went. i was on the highway cruising @ 70mph then all of a sudden tap tap tap. i go to pull over then boom something fly out of the oil pan. the thing is i didnt get any low oil pressure light. so idk for sure

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rellsun
i think the oil pump went. i was on the highway cruising @ 70mph then all of a sudden tap tap tap. i go to pull over then boom something fly out of the oil pan. the thing is i didnt get any low oil pressure light. so idk for sure
Sorry to hear about that, I know that has to suck. Make sure that your next car is within the Gm boundaries if you decide to get another!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like it's time for an L67 swap

Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
Sounds like it's time for an L67 swap
Didnt think about telling him to swap, good call! I guess you have a logical reason to swap in a l67 now.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): Engine Stumbling at Highway Speeds