Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Default Engine question

Hey guys quick question, I already did a search and couldn't find the answer. So quick story, I blew the engine in my 01 pace car and I am searching for a new engine and I'm 90% sure this will work but just need some reassurance before I purchase. Will an 03 impala engine work without any issues since the vin will be different? Here is the one I would like to buy. I already got a quote for shipping and I need shipping so I just need some reassurance, I pretty sure it will work but better safe than sorry before I spend the money.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not exactly.
The transmission of the '03 SS Monte was a "One off" year (Not compatible with any other year gen.6). I assume the Impala is the the same. The electronics are different and would need to have the PCM from the Impala installed in the Monte, or the PCM from the Monte flashed. Not sure if the TCM's would be compatible.
I would suggest finding an engine with the same transmission. Look for the I.D. tag on passenger, back side of the transmission near the differential. (Probably need to crawl under the car to see it). Look for letters like LBD that run vertically down the tag. Find an engine with the same I.D. info. on the trans. I think this would make for an easier swap.

Last edited by plumbob; 01-28-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

If you are just doing a engine swap and not trans it should be fine....

Old 01-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
If you are just doing a engine swap and not trans it should be fine....
As usual, Turbo is right. The engine doesn't care what it hooks up to like the transmission does. I eat crow.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

to go a little further in detail here now that i am on a computer....... the only difference in the engine would be if you bought a supercharged one instead of a N/A one and then in that case you would need a tune..... swapping a N/A series 2 3800 (L36) will drop into any other car with the likewise engine. there may be some minor differences (motor mounts, coil pack bracket, throttle body, etc) and not even sure if that stuff will be different but if it is all of that will still be good on your old engine that you could simply swap onto the new engine. as far as the block, crank, pistons, cam, heads, lower intake, upper intake etc its all the same.

with it having 70k miles even with them saying it runs great etc i would still pull the upper and lower intake and replace them gaskets along with installing new aluminum coolant elbows and replace the valve cover gaskets as well. its easier to do all of this before the engine is back in the car and these are known issues with these cars so might as well get it over with while its easy to do.

hopefully this reply was more help then my first simple quick reply lol. any more questions feel free to ask!

Old 01-29-2016, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

I wasn't able to get that one, it was sold before I went to buy it but I'm on the lookout for another lower mileage engine now.