Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Default engine oil

wondering if there is a big difference in synthetic engine oil?i seen royal purple was pretty expensive does it serve a better purpose then the rest of the synthetics?or is it there all the same

Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Default RE: engine oil

Put it this way. Synthetics are like starting from scratch, using lab gear to make oil of the specific quality that you want. Synthetics are much less affected by heat, or cold, and carry heat much better. So your car should run cooler on hot days, and start easier on cold ones. It is "slipperier", meaning less friction, meaning less heat. Less friction means more power. Small amounts now, but it helps. GM's "sealed" transmissions use either highly, or fully synthetic fluid. Conventional oil gets more viscous (think molasses) when it gets colder, and get's less viscous (think water) when it gets very hot. When cold, it forces the engine to work harder, and doesn't lubricate as well. When hot, it actually will break down more easily, and again, starts to lose some of it's lubrication properties. The additives are designed to reduce the effects of hot and cold on the conventional oil. These additives make conventional oil more resistant to thermal exchange, so it doesn't absorb, or dissipate heat as well, meaning the internal components of the engine arent cooled as well as they are with synthetics.

Synthetic does have its drawbacks. If you have an older car, and it has leaks, they're going to get worse. It also is more likely to leak, because it is 'thinner'. Now this doesn't mean reduced protection of your engine, simply that it flows better through any cracks that could end up leaking. Also, because it cannot simply be drawn out of the ground and purified, it is much more expensive.

Synthetic is much more resistant to breakdown. Breakdown is the reason you've been told in and out, up and down, left and right, to change your oil every 3k miles. Eventually the compounds ofoilbreak down (burn), making sludge, this is hard on the engine, and can build up in low flow, or high heat areas. Synthetic, because it's specifically engineered to conform to the standards that are placed upon it, meaning it doesn't need extra components to make it work right, it's designed to work right from the start, the fewer components, the less stuff there is to break down. Also because it carries heat so well, it's more likely to transfer the heat, instead of breaking down. Because it is less likely to break down, it lasts longer. If you have ever looked at a bottle of oil that's guaranteed to protect for (more than 3000 miles) then it's likely you were looking at a bottle of either semi, or fully synthetic oil.

Air-cooled engines (harleys)usually run an average of 10-20 degrees cooler, as far as oil temp goes, just from the switch to synthetic. Watercooled engines won't notice this change as muchbecause the temp reported on most vehicles is the water temp, which is controlled by the thermostat. Not the oil temperature, which is controlled by the inner workings of the engine, how hard it is being run,the fuel you are running, friction, etc.

This alone was proof enough to me, that I should be running fully synthetic.... and I still do today.
It may not be proof enough for everyone, so I don't want any arguements... this is simply my opinion.

I will admit, that it is better for an engine that is going to be run with synthetic, to be broken in on synthetic, because the wear charactoristics of the engine may change slightly with synthetics, due to it's increased lubrication properties. I haven't been lucky enough to start with a fresh engine... and I've never had any internal engine component problems while using synthetics. The first engine I ever ran with synthetics, my 2.2L 4 Banger beretta did develop a slight oil leak after I started running synthetic. Now I'm not talking a quart a week, a few drops here and there, not even near enough to be noticed between my 5k mile oil changes. My Monte is

Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 PM

I've gotta say, Mike...that is one of the best write-ups I've read in a while on synthetic oil. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinion!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 PM

Yes Defenitley a good write up. I Started to use synthetic in my truck and noticed a difference. As well as the rear main started to leak, lol. But im not sure what they used in my monte. Its had GM service for oil changes, so I guess I will have to find out.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 AM

I recently put a GM crate engine in my Firebird and the paperwork that came with it recommended the initial startup and breakin using conventional oil with GM EOS. After the initial breakin period then a swap to synthetic was ok. I know the Corvetteuses Mobil 1 as the recommended oil, and I may be mistaken but I was under the understanding that they were initially run with conventional (at least till mid to late 90's) then refilled with synthetic before shipping from Boling Green. Has that changed in the past few years?

Conventional oil doesn't lose it's lubricating properties, the additives break down andcause the change in lubricationg capabilities. University of Il did a study on engine oil in the late 80's and concluded that there were impurities in the crude oil that couldn't be refined out nothing harmful but they were there. The study also said the best oil to use was recycled oil with a quality oil additive package. The normal heat cycling of internal combustion engines "burnt the impurities" when the oil was recycled it was actually purer than virgin oil.

Idefinately agree about the difference synthetic makes, I noticed that when I changed my 06SS to synthetic.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

I've gotta say, Mike...that is one of the best write-ups I've read in a while on synthetic oil. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinion!
Mike, What Mod Bigg `J ...wrote : )
Thanks for tak'in the time from your life to `share with the members.
Sponsor 4 MCF
[:-]

Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, whenever you have a brand new or rebuilt motor your suppposed to run regular motor oil for the first 1000 miles, then you can change to synthetic if you want, i personally have fun royal purple since day 1, if royal purple is costing more than the other synthetics then the store is ripping you off for name royal purple on the bottle, because i can sell it cheaper then all other synthetics up here. i will run royal purple in my car all the time

Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 AM

I run Mobil 1 Full synth only because royal purple is very hard to come by where I live..

Old 07-03-2007, 09:26 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center]Welcome to RPMOil.com[/align][align=center]America's Royal Purple ®SuperStore TM[/align][align=center]Repp Performance Marketing, Inc. isan Authorized Independent Royal Purple Dealer[/align][align=center]Material Safety Data Sheets available at the Royal Purple® Corporate Website[/align][align=center]Have a Question? Check out Royal Purple's FAQ section at http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/faqsa.html[/align][align=center]You asked for it, and we've delivered! [/align][align=center]RPMOil.comnowhasPREMIUM OIL FILTERS!!![/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The newCM/Canton Replaceable Element Oil Filters andthe TRUFILTER BilletLifetime Oil FiltersAre Here![/align][align=center]FREE UPS Ground Shipping In The US 48[/align][align=center]The cost of UPS shipping has increased again, but while the other mail order companies are charging you $10.95 and $10.99 handling fees. RPMOil.com still charges only $8.99.[/align][align=center]Our Huge InventoryAllows us to Provide Same Day Shipping For You[/align][center]

Royal Purple 5W30 - 12 Quart Case
$89.04 $79.99
Save:$9.05off

Royal Purple 15W40 - 12 Quart Case
$89.04 $79.99
[color=#ff0000]Save:&nb

Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

5w30 royal purple i charge 6.99 a quart if you take a case
same with 10w30

if you dont take a case its 7.99 a quart

then i also carry quiete a few other's of their products like their gear oil for the positrac rear ends, and their version of water wetter

i swear by royal purple for oil, works awesome

are you ever in this area hyperfox, i'll give you a deal on it if you are

Quick Reply: engine oil