Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine compartment cooling

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 AM

wow i would love to c that engine bay...if bumpin cant post the pics i sure as hell will

Old 02-23-2010, 10:37 AM

idk know if this is worth anything but ebay sells these things called concept fenders for most montes, i dont know nothing about them ive just came upon them before. it looks like they got some kind of scoop for air to get into the engine bay. but they do look pretty sharp. im thinkin of gettin a pair but theyre a bit pricey, and you wanna be careful when buying from ebay their car stuff dont have the best reputation, yuh know.

Last edited by wht02monte; 02-23-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I ended up buying 1968/69 Camaro SS hood vents that were reproduced with billet aluminum bars. Better than original and functional. You are right about Ebay - got to be real careful. Have made about 400+ transactions myself not all good experiences. It's a pain to get your money back from people who miss represent things - or don't tell you the complete truth.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
15 Year Member

mak330: Before I started this project I throughly investigated my RWD options. There was a plan at GM to do so (A GTO/Holden platform) but it was cancelled due to economics. I found the easiest way to have done this was to either buy a frame with a similar wheelbase or make one then simply put my body on it. That option I considered, but never proceeded with it because it would have taken away the reality of the FWD and I wanted to perserve that and trying to fabricate our unibodies and front cradle into RWD - just would not work without butchering the car. And the cost to do all that well exceeded $20K with the drivetrain I wanted in it.

I forgot who asked but this car will be a street car (on nice days of course). Not into show cars or weekend drag cars. NO pleasure in something you can't drive and boast about occassionally.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM

very cool i cant wait to see the finished product.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:06 PM
15 Year Member

Bumpin96monte: Did you get the links??

Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 PM

oh i forgot back to the high heat in the engine bay try to find a plymoth voyager 88 model fan you can mount it next to your inter cooler it is thin but you can modify it enough to blow more air into the engin bay

Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM
15 Year Member

Next to the intercooler as in to the side? Not mounted like a radiator fan?
The reason I asked is because on the passenger side of the radiator toward the bottom I have a double stacked tranny cooler with fan. And I am trying to fit an oil cooler on the drivers side of the radiator on the middle side. I have nothing between the intercooler and radiator and a fan next to my intercooler would be blocked by a cooler on either side of the radiator. That voyager fan is a good idea - I will look into it. I don't know how big it is but thin is good. There maybe a spot for it. If you picked up on my earlier posts I did purchase some billet hood vents for a 68/69 Camaro which should solve alot of my problem. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Put a hole in your drivers side headlight.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM
15 Year Member

Headlight removal especially the bright light on a round dual light setup used to be the way ram air was introduced to the air cleaner through flexible plastic/rubber tubing. And in the case of single head lights these tubes were placed under the front bumper capturing incoming air. The later being a factory option on some late 60's Hurst Oldsmobiles I had when they first came out. I don't think cutting a hole in my headlight today would be very beneficial - I just have too much in the way - Probably would work if my set up were different. Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine compartment cooling