Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine chugging, hesitant

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Engine chugging, hesitant

Hello buys, my WIFE'S Monte 2001 Ss is HAVEING a huge issue with excelleration. When you give it and gas it just chugs and hesitates. When the car is in Idle, it seems to be runnin fine. As soon as you put it in gear and start excelerating it starts to chug as if was out of fuel. I think it may be a fuel filter , but a buddy thinks its something else. Any ideas? I know someone had to have this happen, I think I read about it before and even used to fix these types of issues. I just can't think anymore because of all the operations (for real, no jk) my memory is going so any assistance would be more than welcome and very helpful. Thanks a ton guys...Michael...

Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM

If their's no check engine light on i would start by checking for intake leaks just spray some carb cleaner on it and listen for high revs if that's good then move on to your fuel filter i think they're recommended to be changed every 60k? if that don't do i would try replacing the fuel regulator. Just remember this is only suggestions based on you having no check engine light on.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

When GM built the '00 and '01 W-Bodies (such as the Monte), they got a bad batch of catalytic converters. So bad they were extending warranties (they are now past that extended warranty time frame). But if you are still running the stock cat, I'd get that checked first.

Outside of that, you can start running the "general" maintenance list:
- Clean the MAF sensor (with the MAF cleaner, no other cleaner).
- Change the air filter
- Change the fuel filter
- Change the plugs and wires

If you have over 100,000 miles, you should look into that list as just good maintenance if you haven't already.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

^What he said.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:19 AM

maybe clean the throttlebody while your at it...

Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Default Thanks guys..

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am going to in this order because it's the easiest .
Fuel filter (will need it anyway, the car has just over 51,000 good time to change it.
MAF cleaning
Just installed a new air filter 2 months ago, but will. Clean it (K&N)
Plugs
Wires
CAT, WILL order High Flow Magna flow cat weather I need it or not, that way it will be replaced before its bad (if the other issues fix it)

Also, I will clean out everything I can while I'm in the motor area

Any suggestions on the BEST PLUG for a daily driver, about a total of 15 miles a day, that's it. Best wires? I've always run long life Mobil One for all fluids they make. Maintenance impeccable on this car. I thank you Ll for your help

Also, just remembered it , NO ENGINE lights are on. NO CODES..
Thanks again... Michael...

Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Default Hmmmm

Originally Posted by forgotten
maybe clean the throttlebody while your at it...
Well, went thru the list, first, replaced the Fuel Filter, then cleaned out the MAF, rechecked the air filter, cleaned up the throttle body...... Checked for any wires, clips, vacuum, hoses, etc... Nothing lose or disconnected.

Sam issue, engine runs fine on idle, if you do any reasonable accelaration it just loses power, as if it's starving for air? Fuel? Spark? (just like every else says) so, I am gonna take it in for a (check first) new Catalytic converter only thing is, I want a Magna flow high flow cat (if I'm gonna buy a new one why not? ) but my wife says its not a big deal, just a regular if we do need one. I think they are more expensive if I'm not mistaken.... We'll find out I guess, she doesn't want to wait for one to be shipped out. This sucks ! I know I'm not the only one that goes thru all the trouble to "fix" something , put in all the time to do it correctly only to have a ZERO RESULT ! ... I'm sure plenty of us know how this feels. Lol... Well, of to lettering someone else touch my wife's car... Bs ! Thanks guys, any info before tomorrow would be great thanks... Mjc...

Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
When GM built the '00 and '01 W-Bodies (such as the Monte), they got a bad batch of catalytic converters. So bad they were extending warranties (they are now past that extended warranty time frame). But if you are still running the stock cat, I'd get that checked first.

Outside of that, you can start running the "general" maintenance list:
- Clean the MAF sensor (with the MAF cleaner, no other cleaner).
- Change the air filter
- Change the fuel filter
- Change the plugs and wires

If you have over 100,000 miles, you should look into that list as just good maintenance if you haven't already.

We are looking into the cat thru GM , we checked all of our records and have nothing about a "bad batch" of cats. Did they send them out to everyone with the "K" vin? If so, we never got one so she is gonna complain and see if they will still replace it at no charge. (we have bought a bunch of cars from this dealer, so?). Fingers crossed :rolleyes.

Also, was just thinking about the issue, it's almost like the computer will not supply enough fuel to accelerate and shift properly is one way I can put it (hope that might ring a bell) wish I could explain it better.. Remember how the old style of cars with a 4 barrel carb? You punch the accelerater and just hear a deep "huuuuum" with no power? Sort of like that... Lol... Mjc...

Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM

what bout the cam position sensor? maybe its dirty or faulty.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 PM

My money is on the catalytic converter.

Quick Reply: Engine chugging, hesitant