Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Eleanor's "New" Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Eleanor's "New" Engine

Well, I feel that I love my car enough to replace the engine in it.
I will (someday soon) get a metal intake manifold and get another 3800 To build, but until then, im just going to maintain the #3ll out of it.

Going from there, im getting (hopefully) an engine with 79,000 miles on it. It has sat forr a while.

What would a proper break-in for this engine be? I know it has sat at a junk yeard for a while. Im thinking drive easy for first 2500 miles and change the oil in the first 1000 miles and again at 2000 miles... any other suggestions?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

With 79K on it, its well broken in. Obviously start it with fresh new oil. Drive easy the first few miles, just to make sure everything is running the way its supposed to. Then change the oil after maybe a 2,000 miles (just because you don't know how well the previous owner maintained it, so it might have gunk, etc. Frequent changes can help clean it up a bit, especially synthetics). Otherwise its should be good to go!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
With 79K on it, its well broken in. Obviously start it with fresh new oil. Drive easy the first few miles, just to make sure everything is running the way its supposed to. Then change the oil after maybe a 2,000 miles (just because you don't know how well the previous owner maintained it, so it might have gunk, etc. Frequent changes can help clean it up a bit, especially synthetics). Otherwise its should be good to go!
x2
The only thing I can think of is if it has indeed been sitting for a while, it wouldn't hurt to squirt a little bit of oil into the cylinders and crank it over before actually starting it.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Before I get it, the mechanic will run ut for an hour

Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Wow, you should be good to go! I don't know if you posted it elsewhere, but are you doing the uppper/lower IM gaskets before you put it in?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Dustin you should be good to go. The motor itself is broken in and if the mechanic is running it for an hour, you should be fine. Like the others said I would change the fluids early just to see how it looks.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM

if you got the engine already put a socet and a braker to see if the engine spins before putting it in the car. to see if there is no binding after that i would do is do all the known gaskets that are known to go bad put in new plugs and oil and slide it in. also drive easy till the first oil change

Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

I feel cheated by this thread. I guess I just assumed that there would be pictures. Congratulations on a new engine.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

I'm going to say yes! all correct! do first oil change earlie, shoot some oil in cylenders, baby it for a while, 79k is already broke it, it's just a matter of how well it was maintianed at this point and whether it sat inside an engine bay, in a building or sat outside exposted to the elements

Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM

Idk where it sat to be honest with you. I do know its from a 6th gen ss.

Greg, I think you were hoping for a new engine for the shelby gt eleanor.

Don't worry about pics, im going tonight to pay, and hopefully tomorrow as well to take some pics... id like to see it with the engine out as well.

I am going to take it easy and seafoam it after the first oil change (just to make sure its clean)
He already told me that the big reason for the cost is that he's going to change those gaskets, any pulley that's seized or wearing, the water pump on the old engine is brand new so im getting that back and the coils are all new along with the wires, so im getting those. Im also getting a new tb with screen still in it (someone took the screen out of mine).

He's a big fan of the gm 3800 and the gm 305, so he knows EVERYTHING about them except the interchangability of them. He was suprised to learn that the top end of the l36 and l 67 were interchangable and the pistons of the l36 were just a higher compression.

Quick Reply: Eleanor's "New" Engine