Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

EGR problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Default EGR problems?

I have a 98 monte carlo 3.1l engine "M". When i first bought it it was giving an insufficient EGR flow error intermittently. Being the cheap, broke *** I am, I ignored it. Well I believe it bit me in the *** on wednesday, Coming down the highway doing about 70 the car began to misfire ALOT. the tach was going nuts.*I slowed down and got the tach stable at about 2000 rpm going about 60, and got off the highway at the next exit. It stalled when I pulled up to the stop sign at the end of the offramp. I got it home driving very reservedly with the occasional heavy misfire causing the car to jerk. Once I got home I popped the hood to go listen to the engine and it died out, a few restarts and it kept dying and not stabalizing RPMS. If I try to give it gas, it sputters and misses real bad if I try to exceed 2500RPM.

After it cooled off it seemed to idle fine. I pulled the EGR valve off and it still runs the same with no valve on it at all, still putters if going above 2500 RPM. The exhaust kind of smells like sulphur as well.

Could this be caused solely by excessive carbo build up, and what is the best way to clean the carbon in the system out?

What other things could of caused this problem, tho the EGR code and other related egr codes were the only ones that came up.

If i buy a new EGR valve I want to be assured that that is what I need. I don't have much money right now and I need this car running good again. It ran perfect before but occasionally when coming to a stop while warm it would idle alittle roughly and it would miss very occasionaly while driving.

thanks for any help

Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

have you had the codes scanned again since you bought it?

Old 09-12-2009, 03:03 AM

I had them scanned and cleared twice since i bought it, within a couple days the EGR code would pop back up, same thing each time. I haven't scanned it since it broke down, it's stuck in my driveway now.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 PM

I'm still baffled by this problem, I can't seem to figure out what happened to my car

Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM

I know what your saying Krugnut! what my problem is that I have had my check engine light on for like 3-4 months now and of course it read "EGR Valve" problem. Now, my emissions Test is due on by tomorrow and I don't have the money to buy a new one. So I did some searching and I was told that I can clean the valve to save money. I will go to my mothers garage tomorrow morning and proceed with the cleaning (hoping and praying that it will come clean). Is there a certain procedure to clean the EGR valve off a 01 MONTE? If so, I will gladly appreciate it. THanks in advance!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 PM

I had a 97 MC ls and kept throwing the egr code, although the car never did what yours did, it would run rough at times. I replaced the egr and had it cleared, and it still threw the code, so I took the valve off and cleaned the port out with a hanger. I got as much of the soot out as I could and replaced the valve. The car ran great after that and no code. You might want to check for a loose/broken vacuum hose, or vacuum leak even, just to be certain it isn't that either.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 PM

If Montyss02 is referring to me, then I will certain check those areas and have a wire brush on hand for any type of cleaning. But, if you are referring to krugnut, I am sorry for buttin in on the response...LOL.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:32 AM

Actually, that's a good tip for any car with an EGR valve. Those things clog up, specially if the car isn't maintain well enough.You can also do this check:

Disconnect the electrical connector from the EGR valve. Connect the - lead of a voltmeter to a good engine ground point and probe terminal #1of the EGR valve electrical connector (harness side) with the + lead. Turn the Ignition key on, the battery voltage should be indicated on the meter. If battery voltage isn't indicated, check the circuits from the PCM to the EGR valve. If the circuits are good, have the PCM diagnosed by a dealer.

Check the voltage supply and ground circuits to the EGR valve position sensor. Disconnect the electrical connector from the EGR valve. Connect the + lead from a voltmeter to terminal #4 of the EGR valve electrical connector (Harness Side). Connect the - lead to terminal #2. Turn the ignition key to on, approximately 5.0 volts should be read on the meter. If not, check the circuits from the PCM to the EGR valve. If the circuits are good, have the PCM diagnosed by a dealer.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Wilco; 10-31-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM

Well montyss02, I didn't have enough timing this morning to complete the process that you stated (which makes damn good sense). So I bit the bullet and failed the emissions test. Even though I took the egr valve off and "TRIED" to clean the holes on the inside with some steel wool wrap around a screwdriver. I did get success on the cleaning but not well enough. I had to hurry up and get the test done because today was the last day for it. But I will try that attempt that procedure though!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 AM

Good luck! It's a blessing that I live in OK and the emissions testing isn't done here. That's one big headache I don't need to worry about.

Quick Reply: EGR problems?