Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Dash Controls going crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Default Dash Controls going crazy!

I have a 2000 monte carlo ss with the message display center. First thing, my odometer display(digital) doesnt light up anymore. Then my gas gauge and oil level gauge are both off and fluctuating as i drive which causes the message center to inaccurately display "low oil pressure" and "low fuel". Now wen i drive it says my tire pressure is low but its not cuz i checked all of them. Do I need an individual sending unit for both the oil and gas gauge or is it just the whole electronic dash module itself? Could the actual tire sensor itself be bad or is it just a part of the actual dashboard itself going bad? Whats it cost to get this repaired? cuz i dont wana spend $500 like i did on my grand am..
Please help..thanx

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

very common problem, the gauge cluster is going bad!

check here for info on getting it fixed....http://www.bbengineer.com/cars/impala/store.htm

Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 PM

So is it the whole cluster itself or individual sending units? Cuz one mechanic told me to replace the oil sending unit and te fuel sending unit..

Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pretty00Pace
So is it the whole cluster itself or individual sending units? Cuz one mechanic told me to replace the oil sending unit and te fuel sending unit..
I'm not sure on that, I think over time they all will need replaced/fixed and it is probably a pita to do yourself. Hopefully someone else can give you some better advice?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 PM

ok thanx

Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pretty00Pace
I have a 2000 monte carlo ss with the message display center. First thing, my odometer display(digital) doesnt light up anymore. Then my gas gauge and oil level gauge are both off and fluctuating as i drive which causes the message center to inaccurately display "low oil pressure" and "low fuel". Now wen i drive it says my tire pressure is low but its not cuz i checked all of them. Do I need an individual sending unit for both the oil and gas gauge or is it just the whole electronic dash module itself? Could the actual tire sensor itself be bad or is it just a part of the actual dashboard itself going bad? Whats it cost to get this repaired? cuz i dont wana spend $500 like i did on my grand am..
Please help..thanx
Mine went out starting about 106K miles. First it was the speedometer bouncing around etc. It stuck at around 75MPH when it was off. For some reason I could turn the key on and off about 20-30 times and reset it back to zero. Well this quit working after several months so the speedometer was bad. Then the boost gauge on the turbo went full boost when the car was running and when it was off. My wife didn't like the speedometer reading what it was so we took it in to the dealer. $378.00 (parts and labor) later we had a new cluster and all is well today. I told my wife that it was amazing how good it looked because it was crisp, clean and worked well. The dealer had it shipped to them with the correct mileage programmed in. Money well spent in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 PM

I thought that i would add wen i get a full tank of gas, the gauge reads correctly. Its not until ive used about a quarter of gas is wen it starts to read improperly. This is why i was unsure on whether its the sending unit or the cluster itself. But then my mileage reading doesnt show up anymore and i know this is part of the cluster. And my gauges do go back to zero wen the car is off so they arent stuck. So could it be both the cluster and oil and fuel sending units? im so confused..lol

Last edited by Pretty00Pace; 02-18-2011 at 10:06 PM.