Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Coolant Leaking from radiator!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Coolant Leaking from radiator!!!

I just found my problem. By the drain plug, it was over-tightened and now it leaks coolant. So, I am subject to be a new radiator. The question is, How do I take out the old one and install the new radiator??? If anyone has these instructions, I will gladly appreciate It. Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I've honestly never done it in a Monte, or similar car, only my truck which is way easier to work on. LOL

But look at a Haynes manual, if you don't have one, buy one. They usually have very detailed directions.

Good Luck.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2, you can usually get those books from $12-$25 and can save you tons of money!

I don't have mine on me, so I unfortunately can't throw you some ideas yet

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Here are the directions with pictures from Alldata 2008. I assumed that you had a 3800 hundred. I did it for my car(2000 SS). By the looks of it, yours should be the same. Hope this helps. Also attached zip file that contains a pdf with pictures.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Raditor Replacement.txt (2.7 KB, 568 views)
File Type: zip
Radiator Replacement.zip (48.2 KB, 372 views)

Last edited by lostcausenjtown; 12-17-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 AM

You probably don't need a new radiator. You probably just crack the plastic tank on that side. When you get the radiator out, take it to a radiator shop. If they replace just the tank on it, it will be under $100.00

Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 PM

Wow, I didn't know the radiator can be repaired. Being me, I will just end up buying a new radiator to just eliminate the hassle.

Today, after work, I check underneath my car again and of course the leak was there but no heat inside my car. So, I changed the thermostat (which the old one looked like it was stuck open/close??? by how the copper piece was pushed out of the bottom of the it). I compared the new one and the used one and the new one definently looked like the copper piece was pushed inside (uninstalled). So I knew by comparison, that the old one was bad. After the installation, I let the car run for like 5 mins and the temp gauge needle went quickly pass the middle of the gauge to 3 notches over. I got worried and cut my losses and drove off. While driving, the needle stayed in the same location but while I set the heat on the inside for "inside circulation air only", thats when the heat came on. Im lost on how it won't stay on while the heat is set for defrost or the regular setting from the air outside inside.

Also, while the car is idle a stop light or parked (still running), the needle on the temp gauge goes 3 notches above "overheating (THE RED ZONE)". So, when I start driving, the needle goes but to normal. VERY CONFUSING!!!!

Thanks guys for the insight, I really appreciate it!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Hey lostcausenjtown, I checked them out and that was what I needed. Thanks a million for those instructions....

Thats one thing about this car is that, whateva I don't know off hand, best believe I will fix it myself or gain IMPORTANT knowledge of why the problem occurred.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by rgant_19
Hey lostcausenjtown, I checked them out and that was what I needed. Thanks a million for those instructions....

Thats one thing about this car is that, whateva I don't know off hand, best believe I will fix it myself or gain IMPORTANT knowledge of why the problem occurred.

I feel the same way. Most of my knowledge came from my Grand Prix which was pretty much the same setup. The motor was a 3800 but it was a different gen than the one I have now. Everything is still the same though. Good luck. Glad I could help.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 AM

I still haven't changed the radiator (which I know I need too)!! Since its been cold out and after changing the thermostat, now there is no heat inside the car period. If i could buy some, I don't think that my car would even accept it. I checked the radiator hoses yesterday (while the engine was running at "supposely" operating temps) and the top right hose was hot-to-touch and the bottom left hose was cold. Now, common sense tells me that there is no coolant circulating throughout engine and radiator. So, I was wondering if it could be the thermostat :-( again (by it being a new one) or could it be something else. I am at total lost with this situation but not giving up. Just alone, I called Pep Boys for to see how much would it cost for them to check the problem. Which they said $100 plus tax, no can do on my part. Any Suggestions would be gladly appreciated!!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Just a guess, but maybe you have the thermostat in upside down?

And I agree on taking your radiator to get fixed. You can't buy affordably the quality of radiator that came from the factory. Most radiators now days are cheap Chinese POS.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leaking from radiator!!!