Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Check Engine Light Codes and TERRIBLE Fuel Efficiency?!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Unhappy Check Engine Light Codes and TERRIBLE Fuel Efficiency?!

Please help! I can't afford to keep filling up every few days, I will be at a red light and you can sit and watch the gas gauge go down an entire notch while not doing anything. I am getting terrible gas mileage and I have a ton of codes (some are history though). I went to a DEALERSHIP and they didn't even do anything. I have a bad electrical system and they tried to tell me my car's electrical and transmission was "perfect" and couldn't tell me why my check engine light wouldn't come off and why my gas is being guzzled. I just need someone to please tell me what parts I should buy and how to fix these problems. I seriously cannot afford to take it to a garage, I have been ripped off too many times before, but I need this gas problem fixed.

Here are my codes and can't find much answers with basic research on them:

P0442 (My gas cap is not the problem)
U1064
P1626
P1585
P1554
C1214
C1298
C1247

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS. My cruise control light keeps coming on even when it is turned off, and my digital mileage also comes on and off. I have no dome light on the ceiling, it doesn't work even when I replaced the bulb.

I am so fed up and upset, please help!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:09 AM

Hi `Ember ,
I wish I could help & I hope that one of our expert member's can help you with your problems.

Have you ever replaced your "cat" converter ?
A bad cat can cause many problems..How many miles on your Monte ?
Please check back on your thread & Good Luck.
p.s. How's college ? How's Life in Moskva ?

Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Hi there,
No, I have never replaced the cat converter. I have one mechanic that I trust but he's never mentioned anything about it. He lives far away from me and I work and go to school full time so I can't leave it with him to work on for long periods of time. I have about 180,000 if I remember correctly. College is fine, I am ready to be out and go to grad school. Moskva is beautiful.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM

My mechanic sent me to the dealership to have them address the codes since he didn't have the big daddy code reader that they do, but they didn't help me at all!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM

Hi Ember & thanks for your update.

Please keep checking back on your thread & hopefully one of our expert tech's can help you...(It's a holiday here in the USA & I don't know how active our forum will be today, but I hope that you can get some good answers to help you) Good Luck

Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Happy 4th! =) And thank you!

Old 07-05-2013, 06:07 PM

Bump. Anybody code savvy?

And I have some corrections. It actually has 110,000 miles on it, and I think I did replace the cat converter a few month ago.

Last edited by Ember Love; 07-05-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello Amber, whats the make model and year of your car, what motor does it have?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have a lot of codes going on. I tried to look them up in the shop book and at least get a little bit of what each one means:

P0442 - The EVAP system can achieve vacuum, but a vacuum decay is detected during the diagnostic test. I've seen this on a car be a filler neck with rusted pin holes (and of course a loose cap). Can also be a list of other items related to the EVAP system (canister, purge valve ect).
U1064 - Appears to be a communication failure from the BCM. A message from a learned identification number has not been detected for the past 5 seconds.
P1626 - The PCM has detected a loss of the state of health serial data message from the theft deterrent system. Looks like a GM Tech II is required for proper diagnostics. Can be BCM related.
P1585 - DTC P1585 set indicates that an improper voltage level has been detected on the output circuit which controls the stepper motor cruise control inhibit circuit. Looks like it can be bad wiring, bad cruise module, bad PCM.
P1554 - First, the shop book seems to refer to fixing P1585 before diagnosing this one. The PCM has the ability to inhibit cruise control operation if conditions exist that would make cruise operation undesirable. The following conditions may inhibit cruise control operation:
• Engine speed is too high or too low.
• Vehicle speed is too high or too low.
• Traction control has been active for longer than 1 second.
• Vehicle acceleration or deceleration rate is too high.
If any of these conditions are present, the PCM will remove the ground from the cruise inhibit circuit.
C1214 - One of the following conditions exists for 0.23 seconds:
Criteria 1: The system voltage is less than 8 volts.
Criteria 2: The difference between the ignition voltage and system voltage is greater than 1.9 volts.
C1298 - The powertrain control module (PCM) does not receive any messages from the electronic brake control module (EBCM) for 7 seconds.
C1247 - The EBCM receives a serial data message from the IPC indicating that the brake fluid level is low.

Looking at a lot of these, there is a lot of electrical issues. I wonder if you have:
- Bad grounds
- Broken wires
- Failing BCM

By chance, was this car ever in a flood??? If so, could be a lot of corroded electronics....

Hope this helps get you started.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Thank you so much Maniac!! Any bit helps. It has horrific wiring jobs and there is a lot of rust on the bottom, maybe it was flooded. Last summer my entire dashboard melted off in the heat because the dealer I got it from used Super Glue on it, crook! I was forced into buying this car by my step father now am trying to fix the pieces.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Codes and TERRIBLE Fuel Efficiency?!