Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

charging carbed SBC

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Default charging carbed SBC

I am looking to charge my 350 but I cant seem to find much info on the mods i need to do on my carb. There is a guy near my house selling a turbo and minfolds that would probably bolt onto my car (with slight mods no doubt) for $300. I just cant seem to find what would be the best/cheapest way to make sure i dont blow something up.

ive heard of blow through carbs and seen pictures of guys boxing the entire carb. I am not really sure on pros/cons for either setup but would appreciate some help....thanks!!!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM

nice car i have a 67 firebird

Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lol that had to have answered his question, nice car though. I say just get an upgraded carb, mabye an aluminum one, your stock one should be fine though. If my craptastic plastic intake can handle whords of psi your metal one should be able to.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 PM

yah, im not worried about the intake taking the boost, but how the carb works with it. nice Bird tho

Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oh I know, I was comparing your metal carb to a peice of plastic that takes the same boost beating.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 AM

yah, I wish that was the problem with boosting a carb. One of the problems that i can foresee is that in a carb's (sorry if you already know) fuel is not kept under pressure in the carb its self. The bowl floats keep fuel in the bowls with a needle that, when the fuel fills the bowl, blocks the orface that lets fuel in. Thus once fuel is demanded by the engine vacuum will suck the fuel into the intake, lowering the needle and refilling the bowl.

once you throw boost at it, and the pressure inside the bowl is no longer ~1 atmosphere (standard pressure at sea level) you require more fuel pressure to keep the fuel in the bowl, as the boost could literally push the fuel back into the tank. roughly for every 1 lb of boost you need an additional 1 lb of fuel pressure.

There are other mods I am sure that need to be done to make it right I am just not sure of them. like boring out power valve inlets and such.

Ide like to stay away from buying an entire carb as i have a brand new 4B holley 750 with vacuum secondaries. I guess I could sell it to buy a new one but if it was possible just to do some home fabricating that would save me $$$.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Honestly...if I were really intent on boosting an old school carbed mill, I'd slap a 6-71 on it and be done with it.

Lots of guys have had great sucess with blow-through carbs, but it definitely requires more knowledge, skill, planning, and tuning than just going with a good old positive displacement blower that you sit your carb on top of.

Plus, the 6-71 looks amazing sitting on top of a clean small block.

^Beautiful...

If I were going to turbocharge an older ride like that, I'd personally use some sort of EFI engine management.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM

In a perfect world, I would find a totaled ZR1 and ****** that drivetrain, i mean long as were dreamin! lol I am def a fan of weiand and their blowers, so mean looking! but it doesnt really matter how I go about getting forced induction I run into the same problems. blah

I think what im going to do is find the old LF9 350, twin turbo it and be done! lol Slap the 6 sp allison behind it and churn out 1000 lb/ft of torque getting 20 mpg! ya, sounds more fun to me...haha

Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pts/1881048148.html

you send me the cash, it will be in my car by sunday! lol

Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 AM

but it doesnt really matter how I go about getting forced induction I run into the same problems. blah
Eh? Using a 6-71 eliminates your carb problems...you bolt the carb to the top of the blower and you're done, right?

Quick Reply: charging carbed SBC