Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Car won't start ramdomly

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Default Car won't start ramdomly

Hello knowledgeable peeps...

I have searched and searched and read all of the threads I can find and am still at a loss. Periodically, the car will not start and the "Security" message flashes on the cluster display. I can hear the fuel pump cycle up when the key is turned to "ON" but turning the cylinder to Start has no effect. If I leave the car for 10+ minutes it starts right up. Originally this would happen once a month but lately it has been every few days.

Now I know this is a common problem with the 6th gens. I am wondering if anyone has actually figured out the cause (and the fix) for this problem. I have read a lot of possible causes (ignition cylinder, passlock system, BCM, etc.) I have tried a couple things and everytime it comes back I don't want to just start throwing electronic components at the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unfortunately it's something that you will have to get tested. Most likely it's your ignition cylinder and that's causing your passlock to act up, but if it all goes bad then the BCM is like the last resort. I wouldn't say it's the BCM right now if your other electronics aren't acting up.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM

..Hi `Mike,
Sorry to read that you are having problems with your Monte Carlo
How many miles on your Monte ? Do you keep a lot of keys/etc on your ignition key ring ? I agree with Mod `Mike that it could be your ignition switch. Is it throwing any codes ?

Do you have any electronic mod's ? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter ? Does it seem like it's starving for fuel ?

Look forward to your updates. Wish you Good Luck on locating your problem 4-Sure..

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

I had the same problem numerous times.... It all happened when I replaced my battery to an optima. Well first I had two bad optima batteries (bad cells) then in continued to happen but RARELY, but when it did... I just took the negative off the battery, let it sit for five min and then reconnect and starts right up lol. Idk what it is but for as rarely as it happens I can deal with it.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Unfortunately it's something that you will have to get tested. Most likely it's your ignition cylinder and that's causing your passlock to act up, but if it all goes bad then the BCM is like the last resort. I wouldn't say it's the BCM right now if your other electronics aren't acting up.
All other electrical issues have been sorted out (cleaned grounds, replaced faulty connector under battery, etc.) This is the only remaining issue. I tried spaying some di-electric cleaner into the ignition (found this suggestion on another site) but no help.

Edit: How hard is it to replace the ignition? I have read that you need to have the BCM relearn the passlock resistor value of the new ignition?

Last edited by Dyonysis; 04-23-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by thumpingetocar06
I had the same problem numerous times.... It all happened when I replaced my battery to an optima. Well first I had two bad optima batteries (bad cells) then in continued to happen but RARELY, but when it did... I just took the negative off the battery, let it sit for five min and then reconnect and starts right up lol. Idk what it is but for as rarely as it happens I can deal with it.
I have found that removing the neg terminal of the battery is no more effective than letting is sit 5-10 minutes. It always starts eventually. I was in the same boat you are in where it wasn't acting up often enough to more than a mild inconvenience. Unfortunately, it has done it 8 times in the past 2 weeks.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM

15 Year Member

I've read that a few people were able to get it done by a blacksmith off ebay for about $100 (this was on NAIOA)

They just have to use a different key to open the doors than driving

Old 04-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
..Hi `Mike,
Sorry to read that you are having problems with your Monte Carlo
How many miles on your Monte ? Do you keep a lot of keys/etc on your ignition key ring ? I agree with Mod `Mike that it could be your ignition switch. Is it throwing any codes ?

Do you have any electronic mod's ? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter ? Does it seem like it's starving for fuel ?

Look forward to your updates. Wish you Good Luck on locating your problem 4-Sure..
Hi 'Space.

Car has a shade under 240k. The ignition cylinder is definitely worn (I can pull the key out while its running perhaps that should be my first clue). There were no codes when we scanned it after my engine rebuild. Probably need to have the scanner on it while its acting up (i.e. while the security light is on).

As for electrical mods, I have an aftermarket radio but that shouldn't be an issue as I relocated the stock deck to the glove box and it is still wired in as before (just without the speaker connections).

Here is a question to all> I have just reread the manual and it suggest the Passlock system is a fuel pump disable (not starter disable). Is this true?
If so, then I should not hear the fuel pump pressurize with the key at ON (I do). Might this suggest a starter issue?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM

My car (96 lumina) has the same issue. The ignition does not "read" the resister chip in the key, and so the computer assumes that I am trying to steal the car (dumb *** computer - it's a 96 lumina, who would steal it) and cuts out the starter - NOTHING happens when you turn the key. It's a minor annoyance that occurs once every week or two. You can buy a VATS bypass chip for about $25 that will bypass the security system. It plugs right into the wiring harness - you just need to know the resistance of the chip in your key. I think there are like 16 different resistors from the factory. Cheaper than a new ignition cylinder. My car will start after waiting 3 minutes. Not an ideal scenario if you are robbing a bank, but I'm used to it now.

Last edited by JaxJim; 04-26-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM

15 Year Member

6th Gens don't have a chip in their key.

Quick Reply: Car won't start ramdomly