Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Cammed Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
didn't you just pick up a Z06? i would cam the Z06 first

Yea but the monte is more the daily driver. I just wanted that mean low tone growl when im on the street. From what Im seeing so far I might as well scrap the plan and just accept I wont get the sound Im looking for. Since Im on the subject will swapping out my headers and downpipe change the tone at least a little from everyones past experiences?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have some experience with classic American V8's in that matter. I've heard the difference in a 390 with exhaust manifolds and then headers, and a 302 with manifold and then headers. However, both had the old log manifold, where as today they have more of a "tuned" manifold, kind of a semi-header looking thing for manifolds stock. On the old cars, it certainly made them sound a little smoother and louder to me.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Sorry I shoulda clairified more, I meant on the monte, not the Z06

Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I'm talking about Ford V8's there I think the change in sound would be the same on a V6 or V8, as far as how it changes the sound goes.... slightly smoother, maybe a little louder for each

Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Hey bumpin', do you think he meant "degreeing", or phased with the crankshaft.... kind of like when you use racing cams?
Yeah, thats what I was refering to up top- talking about "cam timing". Instead of adjustable cam gears and such- the 3800's cam timing (in relation to crank position) is adjustable only with the aftermarket timing chain set from Rollmaster which allows you to put the sprocket on with different amounts of advance or retard (up to +8 and -8 in 2 degree increments). What you have to watch out for, is some aftermarket camshafts are ground 'advanced' as is- like the Intense Stage 3 blower cam has +4 degrees of advance already ground into it from the stock centerline- thats why it really pays to check your P-V clearances if you plan to go messing with the cam timing from stock.

Yea but the monte is more the daily driver. I just wanted that mean low tone growl when im on the street. From what Im seeing so far I might as well scrap the plan and just accept I wont get the sound Im looking for. Since Im on the subject will swapping out my headers and downpipe change the tone at least a little from everyones past experiences?
Headers and their included downpipe (especially catless) will change the exhaust note a bit. Personally, if you're just looking for a louder, deeper sound- I'd just swap out the mufflers with a different set and go with that. That would be the cheapest, easiest way to change the sound of the exhaust- plus it would save you time and money messing with the engine- save that for the vette instead, and leave your DD as is.