Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010
Default Manual Swap

Does anyone know of a 5 or 6spd manual trans that would fit the 3800, my trans will prob be dead by the end of nxt year and if i could manual swap it that be awesome, i hate autos lol

Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's been discussed before, but I don't believe anything is available that fits. It WOULD be great!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I read a couple of years ago about a company in Ohio that was offering to do an experiment for $4000, by putting the Getrag 6 speed into these cars and needed volunteers to see how it would work out. For one, I don't know how our floor pans would work out, because you may notice that there is a foot rest just to the left of our brake pedals. The section of the console where the gear stick is would have to be reworked so the shifter can go side to side, and you'll want it to look nice and nut just cut up with a hack saw. Installing the clutch cables and the such would be troublesome. You'd need a new flywheel (which would probably have to be custom made, I don't know about this, there may be 3800 manual flywheels out there somewhere), clutch, and pressure plate, plus all the stuff to hook it up and convert from the automatic. plus, there is the issue of the transmission fitting, some drilling and welding would have to be done. This company in Ohio estimated that shoudl they get a working system figured out, the price when they start issuing it more publically and with any guarantee it all would probably be substantially more than $4000. For that kind of money, you could put a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY strong 4T65-E tranny in that car!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One guy did it in a Grand Prix...

But what's the point? If you put in a GREAT upgraded transmission, and your tune is dead on, you won't need the manual and you can easily look bored while SMOKING anyone near you.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM

The information you need is probably contained in this two threads:
http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=67964

http://www.gpona.com/forums/noah-bra...run-t4271.html

Both threads include parts lists as well as the pros and cons of a swap. I think it'd be awesome once completed, but it's way too much work for me to every consider. I'd rather just buy a manual transmission car if I want to bang gears that bad!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

4th gen sitting in the same boat i kno the monte was a "luxuary sports car" but could they have atleast produced some manuals....

Old 12-30-2009, 11:47 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Forget the clutch, its all in the electronic paddle shift haha.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

justin, your kinda lucky with your 4th gen, if i remember correctly the clutch pedals from a late 70's malibu can be made to work in a 4th gen monte without much hassle, or Possibly the pedals from a 3rd gen camaro. run a hydrolic clutch and a 5 speed out of a 3rd gen camaro / firebird, a junkyard driveshaft and the stock crossmember and it could be done without much hassle.

but as for the 5th gen up cars, its a pretty big PITA. it MIGHT be possible to do a compleate engine/ trans swap if you could find a pontiac or oldsmobile with a stick and a 3.8 ( good luck)

personally, someday i would like to lop apart a 5th gen and convert it to a RWD / V8/ stick setup using 4th gen camaro / firebird front & rear suspention / rear axle/ center floor pan / ect... i beleive it could be done if you had at least 1 or two halfway decent donor cars. and a crapload of time, lol

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by skylark65
personally, someday i would like to lop apart a 5th gen and convert it to a RWD / V8/ stick setup using 4th gen camaro / firebird front & rear suspention / rear axle/ center floor pan / ect... i beleive it could be done if you had at least 1 or two halfway decent donor cars. and a crapload of time, lol
well i got a LS2 with computer & 6spd trans in my garage so we can do it lol

im still throwing around ideas idk what im gonna do yet lol

Old 12-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

yha, that would definitly work would still need a donor car, but one less engine & trans would be a helluva lot cheaper

Quick Reply: Manual Swap