Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

A/C Clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A/C Clutch not engaging

On my 2000 Monte carlo SS 3.8L my A/C clutch won't engage. I am going to remove my analog heater controls and replace it with a 92-99 Chevy Lumina Minivan APV digital heater controls. I have everything wired up and the Lumina HVAC controls work like they should, but my A/c won't compressor doesn't engage. There are two A/C wires from the Monte Carlo vehicle harness right side for the heater control. Brown is for A/C cruise fused output. The other is a dark green wire with white stripe for A/C request. I tapped into the dark green wire with white strip and used the A/C request wire from the lumina heater controls. No fuses are blown for the A/C. It worked before I connected the wires. When I put it back to the way the factory had it, the clutch still doesn't engage. Does anyone know why my A/C cluth isn't engaging or how to make it work again?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM

Sorry to read about your conversion A/C problems.
I hope that one of our expert member's that have knowledge on this problem can help you when they read your thread (?)

The below link is the best I can `do, since I don't know
Good Luck, & I hope one of our member's can help you
How to Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner: 8 steps (with pictures)

Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Did your AC ever start working ? Any solution ? Mine is doing the same, basically on my Ceby Impala.. Thanks.. Mjc..

Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Compressor isn't spinning?

Could be low on freon

Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

Could be low on freon
possible. i had a good working a/c till some road trash bounced under my lumina. the compressor clutch wouldn't engage and it just blew warm air. found out i also had a leaking a/c line. could've been either ones of those things.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

Could be low on freon
Hi, no , it's not spinning.. I was told it may be because of low freon... But it's not locked up either, spins free by hand... Checked ALL the fluids as well.. Could it be the hvac controls in the dash ? It seems like it blows the same temp, hot or cold when the heater is turned on as well...

Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Generally, When the compressor wont come on its usually lo or no freon...
The clutch will spin freely til its engaged electronically...with freon or Manually triggered...(Jumper to the compressor)..Thats a quick way to check if its a freon issue...

Just curious....How long have you lived in chesterfield twp?
I use to live there as well as NewBaltimore! Is BIG DAVES auto parts still there?(I moved from there in 2000)
If your looking for some excellent help.....with anything that you cant figure out....Head over to MT. Clemens Transmission and Tire...Ask for Rob Randa!...Tell them Dave Smith sent ya...Theyll take good care of you...I promise! (I use to race stock cars with rob and his dad..) They also sponsored me at one point during my raceing Career!