6th Gen ('00-'05): Best way to add HP to my 03 LS - Page 3 - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums


Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 08-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJustGotSarged5 View Post
I know the L36 is at pull a part I've seen a couple but I don't really know how good a shape they are in.
That's going to be any engine you buy like that really. Best you can do is your due diligence - check the mileage on the odo if possible, check the oil, check compression if possible, see how the car was treated in general. You certainly run the risk that it was beat on its whole life and won't last a year, but luckily they're a dime a dozen (at least the L36) so you can just swap it again if it does blow up.

Quote:
On milzy motor sports I can get a 80k mile L67 for 2k
Please don't spend $2k on a 3800, that's absurd. Maybe that price made a little sense 10 years ago, but $2k or so nowadays will buy you just about every L36 grand prix or monte carlo on Craigslist, and most of the L67 grand prix. You could buy the whole car and just mod that, or part it out and just keep what you need.

Quote:
I'm still not sure which is the best option I've heard turbos are hard to install
To put this in perspective, you're talking about doing a complete powertrain swap here. Installing a turbo kit is a cakewalk in comparison.

If level of difficulty is a big factor, just spray your current engine.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 08-06-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 PM
UJustGotSarged5's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
That's going to be any engine you buy like that really. Best you can do is your due diligence - check the mileage on the odo if possible, check the oil, check compression if possible, see how the car was treated in general. You certainly run the risk that it was beat on its whole life and won't last a year, but luckily they're a dime a dozen (at least the L36) so you can just swap it again if it does blow up.



Please don't spend $2k on a 3800, that's absurd. Maybe that price made a little sense 10 years ago, but $2k or so nowadays will buy you just about every L36 grand prix or monte carlo on Craigslist, and most of the L67 grand prix. You could buy the whole car and just mod that, or part it out and just keep what you need.



To put this in perspective, you're talking about doing a complete powertrain swap here. Installing a turbo kit is a cakewalk in comparison.

If level of difficulty is a big factor, just spray your current engine.
I'm starting to lean towards the L36 + Turbo someone will definitely have to do it for me because there's no way I can do it myself
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJustGotSarged5 View Post
I'm starting to lean towards the L36 + Turbo someone will definitely have to do it for me because there's no way I can do it myself
If that's the case, I'd start shopping around for labor estimates on it. Custom labor rates vary quite a bit, but it could certainly be substantial on a project like this. Just need to make sure the total project cost will fit in your mod budget for this car.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:14 AM
UJustGotSarged5's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
If that's the case, I'd start shopping around for labor estimates on it. Custom labor rates vary quite a bit, but it could certainly be substantial on a project like this. Just need to make sure the total project cost will fit in your mod budget for this car.
Will do I'll be sure to give updates on it thank you very much
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-09-2018, 03:56 PM
UJustGotSarged5's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
That's going to be any engine you buy like that really. Best you can do is your due diligence - check the mileage on the odo if possible, check the oil, check compression if possible, see how the car was treated in general. You certainly run the risk that it was beat on its whole life and won't last a year, but luckily they're a dime a dozen (at least the L36) so you can just swap it again if it does blow up.



Please don't spend $2k on a 3800, that's absurd. Maybe that price made a little sense 10 years ago, but $2k or so nowadays will buy you just about every L36 grand prix or monte carlo on Craigslist, and most of the L67 grand prix. You could buy the whole car and just mod that, or part it out and just keep what you need.



To put this in perspective, you're talking about doing a complete powertrain swap here. Installing a turbo kit is a cakewalk in comparison.

If level of difficulty is a big factor, just spray your current engine.
I've come across a 3800 series 3 supercharged for 800$ 110k miles on it. I'm interested but would it fit?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM
UJustGotSarged5's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
That's going to be any engine you buy like that really. Best you can do is your due diligence - check the mileage on the odo if possible, check the oil, check compression if possible, see how the car was treated in general. You certainly run the risk that it was beat on its whole life and won't last a year, but luckily they're a dime a dozen (at least the L36) so you can just swap it again if it does blow up.



Please don't spend $2k on a 3800, that's absurd. Maybe that price made a little sense 10 years ago, but $2k or so nowadays will buy you just about every L36 grand prix or monte carlo on Craigslist, and most of the L67 grand prix. You could buy the whole car and just mod that, or part it out and just keep what you need.



To put this in perspective, you're talking about doing a complete powertrain swap here. Installing a turbo kit is a cakewalk in comparison.

If level of difficulty is a big factor, just spray your current engine.
I've come across a 3800 series 3 supercharged for 800$ 110k miles on it. I'm interested but would it fit?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJustGotSarged5 View Post
I've come across a 3800 series 3 supercharged for 800$ 110k miles on it. I'm interested but would it fit?
As far as fitment goes, it's the same size as any other 3800. The upsides are that its 20 more HP stock than an L67 and has the better gen 5 blower. The downside is that it'll take more work to swap. a few big ones I can think of:
-L32 had returnless fuel lines, so the rail only has 1 port whereas your car has 2 - a feed and a return with a regulator on the rail.
-the L32 is drive by wire (no cable going to the throttle body)

Depending what harness you plan to run, you could have connector differences, the fuel injectors being one I can think of. As L67s were always plentiful around here, I've never done an L32 swap so there may be other pitfalls I'm not thinking of.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:00 PM
UJustGotSarged5's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
As far as fitment goes, it's the same size as any other 3800. The upsides are that its 20 more HP stock than an L67 and has the better gen 5 blower. The downside is that it'll take more work to swap. a few big ones I can think of:
-L32 had returnless fuel lines, so the rail only has 1 port whereas your car has 2 - a feed and a return with a regulator on the rail.
-the L32 is drive by wire (no cable going to the throttle body)

Depending what harness you plan to run, you could have connector differences, the fuel injectors being one I can think of. As L67s were always plentiful around here, I've never done an L32 swap so there may be other pitfalls I'm not thinking of.
For 800 I feel like its a great deal for the power and the mileage. As far as the actual swap goes as long as labor isn't insane I'm all for it. What are your thoughts on it?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:23 AM
ChibiBlackSheep's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wyncote, PA
Posts: 24,700
Default

I wouldn't bother with a series 3, I would continue to look for a series 2. Like Bumpin' mentioned, it will require more for the swap, and there could be some random unknowns. I like to work with combinations that were offered from the factory, especially when getting into tuning your new set up.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-10-2018, 11:35 PM
UJustGotSarged5's Avatar
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I wouldn't bother with a series 3, I would continue to look for a series 2. Like Bumpin' mentioned, it will require more for the swap, and there could be some random unknowns. I like to work with combinations that were offered from the factory, especially when getting into tuning your new set up.
Has anyone on the forums ever done it?
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.