Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Bad Week !!!!! Need Help Bad !!! SS acting up (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/bad-week-need-help-bad-ss-acting-up-29075/)

red04montels 06-22-2011 12:47 PM

I think you might have something wrong with your

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3wmY0oHCr2...00/aaa-cat.jpg

BlackRainSS 06-22-2011 01:02 PM

maybe i just dont understand the picture but who has something wrong with their head?

BigPana 06-22-2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 335742)
First, I'm curious why did the exhaust manifold need replaced (or was it just the gasket for the manifold)? The stock manifolds don't really go bad from what I've seen.

My guess would be a potential bad CAT (agreeing with a coupld others that have chimmed in). Sounds like it's not flowing exhaust out like it should and sometimes it does.

BUT, before dumping ANY money on it, you mentioned the check engine light flashed on. This means an internal diagnostic failed on the car and the computer has some data stored regarding what happened. From what I've seen, most cheap ODB-II scanner read current and history codes. I found messing with a Snap-On Scanner is can read current and history codes BUT can read other code storages on the car, such as last code thrown, last code thrown since last cleared, and codes thrown during this ignition cycle. Bottom line, the light flashed, there's a code stored in there. Retrieve it and share what was found, it may further confirm the problem as a CAT or point you in a different (and hopefully correct) direction.

Manifold has a hole in it !

BigPana 06-22-2011 01:20 PM

Love the Cat Pic ! Lmao well took it back to the shop and had the guy ride along now their saying something about low fuel pressure and misfire in cylinder 4. Now i'm on the hurry up and wait action !

BlackRainSS 06-22-2011 01:23 PM

lol wow I'm slow today :O it was a cat i totally missed the big picture i was focused on the (what looks to be) lime peel on his head lol

red04montels 06-22-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BigPana (Post 335875)
Love the Cat Pic ! Lmao well took it back to the shop and had the guy ride along now their saying something about low fuel pressure and misfire in cylinder 4. Now i'm on the hurry up and wait action !

Are you taking your car to the dealer this whole time? Sounds like they're almost doing a full rebuild....

Monte04ls.... wow..... lol :P

jcoeracing97 06-22-2011 03:48 PM

I had a restored 1976 El Camino Custom 350/2 automatic. The same symptoms you mentioned on your car happened on my Elk. Since it was a restoration, I had gone as far as to install a new CAT as well to keep it all all original. Long story short: Same problem as you. Turned out that for whatever reason, the new CAT was bad and did the same thing. I'm not sure exactly how you would test it for flow-rate but I sure concur with the other members. Hope you get it fixed soon!

BigPana 06-22-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 335897)
Are you taking your car to the dealer this whole time? Sounds like they're almost doing a full rebuild....

Monte04ls.... wow..... lol :P

No just taking it to a local spot. So if its a bad cat what route should I take without getting raped ? I heard someone talking about a high flow cat on zzp is much cheaper then stock.

red04montels 06-23-2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by BigPana (Post 335959)
No just taking it to a local spot. So if its a bad cat what route should I take without getting raped ? I heard someone talking about a high flow cat on zzp is much cheaper then stock.

It will be a lot cheaper but also might throw a code, I would look into their downpipe with the cat, cheaper than an oem replacement cat and you have the downpipe upgrade also

BigPana 06-23-2011 03:50 PM

Thanks for everybody who chimed in ! It was the CAT 80% Clogged.