Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Bad speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Default Bad speed sensor

How can I Tell if I have a bad speed sensor on my 2000 SS every since i added my sound system car has been drivin funny the trans isnt upshifting correctly

Old 03-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Default RE: Bad speed sensor

Hi `Josh,
Is it throwing any codes ?
If you don't want to go to your dealer, try going
to your local auto parts store that will hook it up to read.
(Like AutoZone)
Post more details on your problems.
Be patience, and I'm sure on of our expert member's
will respond with some suggestions.
Good Luck to you, & your Monte.
Oh, what type of system did you install ?
Did you do it yourself, or have it done ?
Look forward to your response.
`Space

Old 03-09-2008, 04:55 PM

Take it out on-the-road ... set the Cruise Control to 50mph and see if it holds steady. The Speed Sensor is in that loop. If the Cruise Control doesn't maintain 50 it's failing to get a loop signal from the Speed Sensor.

Be careful doing this. I had a Cruise Control problem involving the Speed Sensor and the Cruise Control developed a mind of its own. The Cruise Control Unit was looking for a signal from the Speed Sensor and not finding any ... kept accelerating the Engine thinking that the Monte wasn't at the speed selected. This problem was dangerous because it also malfunctioned, NOT disengaging when the Brake Pedal switch was closed.

I literally had to shut the car's ignition OFF to prevent the car from running away on me. The RPM's were hitting the limiter and the engine was High revving and shutting-down, cycling like that pretty rapidly. I wound-up bringing it in to the Dealer for the fix. They did fix it ... but, didn't tell me what the fault was!

Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM

what kind of sound system did ya put in to it?

Mine has a VSS wire on it. or a Vehical speed sensor wire. If this is the case try to disconnect it and see if all comes to normal agian.
If so you migh thave to find a new place to hook up the wire so it is not interfearing in that system,
This is why i was tryign to find the VSS wire ont he montes behind the stereo. Our cars have a way to know what the car is doing so it can adjust the volume wiht the speed that you are doing. if you look at the speed as you drive with the radio on and this set it will increase or decrease the volume as you slow or speed up.

The VSS wire i need is the one causeing this. So if you can find out where it hooks in to the stereo in the ORG. system then you can hook it up there instead and might be the way to make sure this dont happen to you again.