Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Autolite 104's or 605's and KR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Default Autolite 104's or 605's and KR?

We are just about finished with modding our monte. All we have left is a set of 1.9 rockers (when we find a good deal on used ones) and to drop a pully size. I thought we had completely eliminated KR but since driving with the aeroforce scanner and viewing KR all the time, I've noticed we still get it occasionally. For the most part its 0, but every now and then it spikes to 3.5 on WOT just before the 1-2 shift. Will the rockers get rid of this? I don't go WOT often but do plan on going to the track so that amount of KR will be an issue

I'm thinking we should switch to cooler plugs at the same time we do the rockers. Should I go with the 104's or 605's. After the pulley we are done modding.

Thank you for any help

Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would definitely go with colder plugs. Both plugs are good choices.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM

lab, the 104s will definitely kill more KR than the 605s- they will require replacing at shorter intervals though. You will probably need to replace 104s about every 20,000 miles, depending on your driving habits.

I'd go with the 104s personally- they will kill more KR. Gap them at .055-.060 and you should be good to go. I run 103s in my junk to kill as much cylinder heat as possible.

spikes to 3.5 on WOT just before the 1-2 shift.
Is your fuel system in good condition? You may want to replace your fuel filter if you haven't recently. Cleaning your top end with SeaFoam is also a cheap way to lower KR (removes carbon deposits- reduces effective compression- which reduces detonation) and is worth doing if you haven't done before.

Another personal finding I've had is that after adding mods, you'll see some random bursts of KR as your PCM learns the new air intake/exhaust patterns. As your fuel trims settle down as your PCM learns the new equipment, the KR goes away.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Ty for answering my questions.

Im pretty sure the fuel system is good. I've always run shell vpower 93 octane since i bought the car and i get great milage. A can of seafoam wouldnt hurt. I know when i ran a can of seafoam through my old bonneville via the vacuum lines i noticed a 2mpg increase.

As for the fuel filter, the lines wont break free. Ive tried 3 or 4 times, lubing them with pb blaster each time with no luck. I guess ill try the oxy/actalyne tourches....just kidding., lol When i do my next oil change and have it on my lift at work, ill cut the lines and replace it. Napa sells premade lines with fittings that fit the filter and attach to the cut end with a compression fitting.

Ill get the 104 plugs. I reset the pcm today so it will relearn the fuel trims quicker. After i put a few hundred miles on it and run a can of seafoam through it ill do a couple more 0-60 wot runs and see if the kr is lower or gone.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 PM

I would do the fuel filter one way or another before dropping that 3.4 on- I've literally seen guys pick up .2-.4 in wideband AFR from replacing filters! I do mine annually- they seem to clog really, really fast. They are a pain, but with line wrenches it's not that bad and it will come off- let it soak for a few hours in PB or Liquid Wrench (my personal preference- always seemed better than PB to me) and then go at it with line wrenches and you'll get it.

Everything else sounds good- when you SeaFoam it, make sure you introduce it below the blower (I've heard that it can remove the rotor coating- can't confirm this, but I personally won't risk it).

Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM

I definitely agree with driving for a couple days before you check for KR- you really want the fuel trims settled down as much as possible before you make a decision.

Also, the 1.9's should kill all of that. However, also consider the possibility of false knock as well. If you have a local gas station with race gas (100 unleaded or something like that)- run your car to nearly empty and put 3 or 4 gallons in- then scan for KR again after driving a bit to circulate the fuel around. Sometimes the car will still have KR after this (meaning that something else is falsely tripping the knock sensors).

Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 AM

Thank you. Good tip on adding the seafoam under the SC. I drove a few hundred miles over the weekend so I'll check for KR sometime this week. We use to be able to get 100 octane at the local airport, but they won't let anyone do that anymore unless your filling a plane so the only time I'll be able to try it is when I go to the track.

Fuel filters probably going to get changed when I do the rockers or shortly after. I'm not having any luck finding used rockers and I don't want to buy new because I want to keep my stock ones so then I'd have to pay the core charge. Pulley will come after I do the rockers, sea foam it, change the fuel filter and plugs, and then drive it a few hundred miles and verify I have 0 KR at all times. I have a warning light set-up on the aeroforce scan gauge so it lets me know the second it creeps over 1.5 KR