Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Any one have trouble as far as super chargers going bad on you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Default Any one have trouble as far as super chargers going bad on you?

Hi all. Im new here... (I know, newbie) But, I've been patiently wating for 3 years now for a monte carlo, 2000-2005. Im almost 21 and my current car continues to have me on it's hit list. My dad continues to say Super chargers have problems with the oil, etc. But how true is this? Would buying one used with a supercharger (factory)scare you?

thanks guys.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Any one have trouble as far as super chargers going bad on you?

The s/c themselves aren't the problem- its extremely rare to see one actually wear out unless you have crazy high mileage.

The worst thing about them is the plastic coupler that couples the drive gear to the rotors, the holes in it like to egg shape after a lot of miles, and the rotors get slack and make a rock grinder noise. Upside is a new coupler is like $30, and its easy to replace (just remove the snout and change it).

I do reccomend changing the oil occasionally though- use GM supercharger oil only! Personally, if I bought a used car w/ a supercharger, the first thing I'd do is pull the snout, change the coupler (you have to drain the fluid to do it anyways), and put fresh fluid in.

IMO, they are no less reliable than any other engine.